SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-05-09, 06:42 PM   #1
amnesia

Default Consumer goods and fit for purpose...

I bought a pair of Arlen Ness 1064 boots about 8 months ago.

The velcro that sticks the zip-cover flap down started to tear away from both boots, so they went back.

They were replaced and all was well...until today.

The replacement pair have gone exactly the same way. Now knowing this was a weakness, I have been careful with how I take them off but its still started to tear away. They are only a few hundred miles old so as you can guess I am not best pleased. Like last time, it has happened right on top of a biking trip too.

I want to go back the dealer and get them swapped for another manufactures boot, as I believe this is a design flaw and hence they are not fit for purpose.

Anyone had any experience of repeated failures and getting an alternative replacement?
Old 03-05-09, 07:51 PM   #2
Jamiebridges123

Default Re: Consumer goods and fit for purpose...

Generally if you take an item back to a store you can use that money as credit for another product in store. Unless it's an Arlen Ness only dealer where they may be a pain in the backside. Simply say it's the 2nd time it's happened and you aren't happy with the quality.
Old 03-05-09, 08:18 PM   #3
jamesterror

I'd say the same as Jamie, the fact the price you pay you'd expect the full quality.

Store credit is probably what they'd do, depends how they deal with refunds.
jamesterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 08:49 PM   #4
BanditPat

I have the same boots, Havet had a problem with them yet after maybe 3000 miles. I love them
Old 03-05-09, 09:00 PM   #5
amnesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditPat View Post
I have the same boots, Havet had a problem with them yet after maybe 3000 miles. I love them
Lucky you! Maybe its a dodgy batch and I just managed to get two pairs from it.

I know that I am not the only one who has had this problem with these boots - someone else returned a pair around the same time as me.

Lets see what tomorrow brings. A store credit would be fine, but I had a hell of a job getting boots to fit over my leathers..also Arlen Ness...the calf armour is huge. The 1064's were the only ones that came close.
Old 06-05-09, 05:24 PM   #6
amnesia

Been back today, and one of the girls working there saw the box on the counter and said "Oh no...whats wrong this time?"

I showed the boots to her and she said "Better fix you up with some Alpinestars then" . No quibble about replacement or anything.

So I tried a pair on...and left the store with them. Marvelous. I can't work out why they fit now whenI couldn't get them on when I originally went boot shopping.
Old 06-05-09, 05:33 PM   #7
Jamiebridges123

Well, glad you sorted it out
Old 06-05-09, 05:34 PM   #8
Mgaffz

Result
Old 06-05-09, 08:36 PM   #9
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
I can't work out why they fit now whenI couldn't get them on when I originally went boot shopping.
Different batch again. The tooling on the manufacturing line may be set up by hand each time they do a run of different size boots. Glad you got it sorted anyway.