SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-08-09, 10:43 PM   #1
Dizeee

Default Stats - what do I straddle?

Just out of interest,

I only picked this thing up yesterday as a complete newbie.

Don't worry, I won't be leaping into the unknown, my respect for the bike is massive.

However, having come from a car that can do 60 in 5 seconds, and having driven the same car at around 150 on numerous occasions (track obviously) I just wondered...

What are the stats for the SK5?

Today, and even yesterday to be fair, and having felt comfortable I started to use some throttle. Now, I have not got to the point where the wheel lifts but, I do know that I am hitting 30 in a couple of seconds, and having used 2nd I have booted it to 50 in around a couple more. I have not felt weight shift so far as I know, but, it has to be said, in terms of acceleration, I am used to the change in road speed and not alien to the consequential obsrevational/practical differences.

What I have noticed is that, whereas my car (which was a 300bhp turbo) "FELT" fooking quick, the bike doesnt. Now I am only using the bike probably to around 65% of it's capabilty. But, having been spritely, and having been happy to press on, as much as I love the torque and as much as I know that it would **** on most cars, the "sensation" is totaly different.

It does not feel urgent, or like it is even trying. Which, is probably good.

Educate me!
Old 29-08-09, 10:47 PM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: Stats - what do I straddle?

your sv should go to 60 in 4ish seconds and top out at about 125.
Old 29-08-09, 10:49 PM   #3
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

not sure what the actul 0-60mph time for an SV is but remember this...0-60 is for cars and wimps, 0-100 is for bikes and heros

I know flat out my K5 will do 142mph, no matter how hard i tried that night i couldnt get 143mph.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-09, 10:53 PM   #4
Graciepants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
I know flat out my K5 will do 142mph, no matter how hard i tried that night i couldnt get 143mph.
thats impressive - i thought svs did about 130 tops
Old 29-08-09, 10:53 PM   #5
kwak zzr

142? on the speedo maybe.
Old 29-08-09, 11:04 PM   #6
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Dunno about the pointy but the curvy 'S' is geared for 139, it won't go faster although it may _read_ higher, could even read over 150mph.

The SV is not a very quick bike as bikes go but plenty fast enough, from what I recall 0-60 is around 3-4 seconds, 0-100 around 10. In comparison to say a GSXR1000 which will do 0-100-0 in 10 seconds or even my 20 year old VFR which will do 0-100 in 8 seconds...

0-60 in 5seconds is a pretty quick car so in comparison to most car drivers you wont notice the difference as much.

Druid

Last edited by fastdruid; 29-08-09 at 11:09 PM.
fastdruid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-09, 11:29 PM   #7
Dizeee

Cool.

Yeah the car was a bit of a wildcard... a tune VXR for straight line speed.

The acceleration of the SV is something that I am aware of, but nowhere near afraid of if that makes sense. If anything, it just lacks that sense of urgency, but, I am used to a car, and I know it is apples and pears.

I have a few times really "sprinted" off the mark, by no means done what most rider on here could do, but none the less have done it. Yes, I have before I known it suddenly hit 60 and thought, oh, thats 60...

Thats great though as on my Superdream I hit 40 and shat myself...
Old 29-08-09, 11:31 PM   #8
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

yeh indicated 142. Had it pinned to the stop and it just wouldnt budge off that. Never checked the data logger from my info rad on that one to see the GPS verified speed tho. Might try it again soon tho.... once i get access to that private airstrip again of course
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-09, 11:32 PM   #9
Dizeee

Bit, major shock... top speed....

Seriously... not 125?

Cant believe that. Was thinking for a K5 minimum 135...

Ive been privvy to a lot of bikes whilst in the VXR and I know they are quickish top end. Mind you, until now, wouldn't have recognised an SV.
Old 29-08-09, 11:35 PM   #10
BanditPat

Thats what I felt like every time I got in he car, the car feels like its going fast you can feel it trying to move with the bike it seems so effortless overtaking from 40 in the bike and looking down at the speedo and seeing close to triple figures if i had done the same in the car i wouldnt be looking at the same speed but the car still 'felt' faster