SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-02-14, 06:01 PM   #1
laperlenoire

Default Done Anything and ( Almost ) Drop Your Motorcycle ?

All,

As I just started riding and I am sure I will be as long as I will be riding, I would like to share my experience today when I had to slowly drop my bike as I could not hold it anymore.

After changing the oil and oil filter, I decided to sit on the bike and look at the sight glass to verify the oil level. As I was trying to look at the sight glass oil level, I had my right foot on wet grass and the bike leaned and my right foot started slipping. The more I was trying to hold the bike, the worst it got. And finally I had to let the bike drop slowly.

I will never do that again

Please share your stories if you have done anything that might have caused you to drop or almost drop your bike.

Thanks.
Old 15-02-14, 06:08 PM   #2
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Default Re: Done Anything and ( Almost ) Drop Your Motorcycle ?

Dropped my SM-T after not a scratch in over 2 years by turning too tight at walking pace into a parking spot, would have been fine on my own but I did it infront of a load of the gang from here...no excuses just "sh|t happens" sometimes

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-14, 06:32 PM   #3
The Idle Biker

You're not alone fella, been and done that a couple of times now. Slow motion, where you can hear the crunch before it happens, and then it does.
Old 15-02-14, 07:08 PM   #4
SIII
Mega Poster

Did it on my Honda VT125. Swung my foot at the stand and missed, but was already leaning the bike over, couldn't hold it so just let it fall as slowly as possible and left my leg under to limit damage. Worked a treat and no damage caused. Only problem was I was now pinned under the bike !!! Van driver took pity on me and helped lift the bike. My face was so red, I just left my helmet on !!!
Old 15-02-14, 07:43 PM   #5
Jason H

Was sat in the ****ing rain at the side of a petrol station in the New Forest absent mindedly chatting to a yound lady on another SV, foot slipped in the leaves and almost put it down but my foot gained traction just in time.

Safe to say we both laughed but it could have been a little more embarrasing.
Mods: Renthal Flat bars, 's' clutch perch, GSXR front master cylinder, CNC shorty levers, Tail Tidy, Fuel Mini S/S Slip-on, 15/47, 's' Swing-arm, Pillion seat cowl, GSXR 750 front end, CNC polished top yoke, R6 Throttle tube, GSXR rear shock

Jason H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-14, 07:57 PM   #6
rp16v

actualy decked my scooter at a stand still pulled up ready to open gauarage after an exhausting day an just dident put my left foot down....at all lmao just rolled over and realise what actualy happend

another was trying to bump start the sv on my own never tried before came so close to hitting the deck
Old 15-02-14, 08:49 PM   #7
thulfi

When I bought my first motorcycle, I kept it a secret from my parents. When it arrived, got the guy to drop it at the local pubs car park til my mates mum agreed to let me keep it in their back yard. The day she did, I thought I'd see how fast I could wheel it down the road to his house whilst running beside it. Had an epic drop half way down the road, which cut my hand quite painfully. I'd sustained my first bike injury before even getting on it.
Old 15-02-14, 09:43 PM   #8
Mikey360

I did it with my GSF400 a couple of times....
Came into a pub car park once with a weird tarmac design with sand parking bays, touched the front brake to come to a stop (less than 5 mph) and the front just went, snapped the front brake lever and rode home a little embarrassed at such a low speed!
Also, braking hard on a mates gravel drive gave whilst showing off made me look a slight plonker too -_-
Old 15-02-14, 09:53 PM   #9
DaveRushton

Me and L3nny were trying to get my new Sprint onto the centre stand, he ttys on his own, then i slowly see the bike fall over
DaveRushton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-14, 10:03 PM   #10
DJFridge

We've all done it. I dropped my NSR125 just that slowly and carefully when I went to wheel it up into our garage, forgetting the stand was still down, and said stand caught on the raised bit of floor and ever so gently tipped it away from me. And I managed to drop the SV twice in the space of a couple of weeks in the works car park, trying to wheel it off the same uneven bit of concrete. Slightly embarrassing