SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-04-14, 02:05 PM   #1
Bike_Nutter

Default TomTom Rider / car based sat-nav or other ?

My phone just doesn't give me the info I need when pelting down a motorway, or in town for that matter.

Too slow to update position, can't see my road/lane position clearly, no speed camera alerts (now more important with my BIG bike ) I like to keep my phone battery life for actual call making, don't get me started on roundabouts!

So...I would like to pick up a satnav, as much as I have been trying to get by on my phones google app for too long.

I have read some reviews and there is mixed opinions about the motorbike specific ones, namely Tomtom rider and Garmin.

Anyone own a bike specific nav device? Any suggestions on a good and cheap one? Sub £50 second hand suits me.

I ride mainly in London, but want to do some UK touring over the warmer months. I may also pop over into Europe, but I'm not planning any trans-cont trips this year, so no need for the latest map updates and gear.

Suggestions and advice pul-ease.

Nutter.
Old 03-04-14, 02:11 PM   #2
L3nny
Mega Poster

Default Re: TomTom Rider / car based sat-nav or other ?

I have a TomTom rider 2 and it's the best motorcycle accessory I have ever bought. You plan routes on google maps, use a program called Tyre to convert them to itn files and it takes you (90% of the time) on the exact route you planned. I've followed it all over Europe and it's only let me down when it had really old maps on it, since I updated them it's been fine.

I think you'd struggle to get one for £50 though, more like £200 but it's a good investment.
L3nny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 02:47 PM   #3
aesmith

I know you're set on a dedicated satnav, for very good reason, however I've found that "Nav Free" works well on iPhone and Android. It's free (as you might guess) and holds the maps locally so not reliant on a data connection to keep updated.

http://www.navmii.com/gpsnavigation
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 02:54 PM   #4
Bike_Nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post

I think you'd struggle to get one for £50 though, more like £200 but it's a good investment.
They are going on Fleabay for £50-60 (bids in progress) but I'm not sure if it's V1 or V2.

I have read about issues with the ON/OFF button not working, it doesn't charge via the mini USB, customer service being hard to talk with, and many other issues I can't recall just now.

Have you had any problems that stand out for you?

I don't have £200 for a nav device just now and I think I can get by on a less functionality. The bluetooth headset sound good though, as I either simply use the visual info or stick a single ear bud in if I need the audio too. The wire flapping gets on my nerves a bit.

I'll either get a dirt cheap one, simply as an alternative to my phone, or go all in and get primo gear, I don't see the point of half measures.
Old 03-04-14, 03:00 PM   #5
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Have you considered using an on bike charger? I use my Garmin car sat nav on the bike with a Givi sat nav holder and just use my Nippy Norman's cigarette lighter adapter to plug into my existing socket (standard on a GS) but I also fitted a socket to my SV and if Mr LPH needs the car sat nav I just plug my phone into the bike so I'm not draining the battery and shove my phone in the same Givi holder. I don't have a tank bag on my bike.

http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/...oductViaPortal
Old 03-04-14, 03:01 PM   #6
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike_Nutter View Post
They are going on Fleabay for £50-60 (bids in progress) but I'm not sure if it's V1 or V2.

I have read about issues with the ON/OFF button not working, it doesn't charge via the mini USB, customer service being hard to talk with, and many other issues I can't recall just now.

Have you had any problems that stand out for you?

I don't have £200 for a nav device just now and I think I can get by on a less functionality. The bluetooth headset sound good though, as I either simply use the visual info or stick a single ear bud in if I need the audio too. The wire flapping gets on my nerves a bit.

I'll either get a dirt cheap one, simply as an alternative to my phone, or go all in and get primo gear, I don't see the point of half measures.

Problem with the tom tom is they don't come with a charging mount for the bike, you have to buy one at the cost of £50. I also had to buy another mount to fit it to the headstock which was about another £30.

Never had any problems with it though, I got it second hand, it was about 4 years old when I bought it and I've had it 2 years.

Just trawled through Paypal, paid £175 off ebay 2 years ago for one with a charging mount and European maps.
L3nny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 03:08 PM   #7
Bike_Nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
I know you're set on a dedicated satnav, for very good reason, however I've found that "Nav Free" works well on iPhone and Android. It's free (as you might guess) and holds the maps locally so not reliant on a data connection to keep updated.

http://www.navmii.com/gpsnavigation
Does it show up clearly on a phone with the sun glaring on it at motorway speeds? Can you see road lanes and where you should be positioned at a glance?

I have added far too many miles in the last two weeks from missing junction exits on motorways, and I am sure I'll save money in the long run by buying a dedicated Nav device. I also do some wild camping and like being outdoors, so it would serve as a GPS "off road" device in addition to maps and other location options.

I have tried free map apps in the past, all with their +/- points. I don't remember why I fell back on the Google pre-installed nav system. Probably because my now ancient HTC desire is now 3 years old and suffered with low RAM from day one.

Most apps you can't transfer to the SD card, so I have very little space to run and store apps. Even the factory apps are now causing my grief with the updates getting larger each time.

I refuse to update my contract with the Devils' minions a.k.a contract providers as my phone (sort of) does what I want: email, calls, limited browsing, all be it, crashing from time to time, sigh.
Old 03-04-14, 06:25 PM   #8
Teejayexc

Get something like this..http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/motorcycle-sat-nav-cover, wire a 12volt supply to it, then buy a cheapo car sat nav and Bob's your uncle, (or fanny if we're still playing that game )
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 07:06 PM   #9
Bike_Nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejayexc View Post
Get something like this..http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/motorcycle-sat-nav-cover, wire a 12volt supply to it, then buy a cheapo car sat nav and Bob's your uncle, (or fanny if we're still playing that game )
Yeah, I was thinking of going the route you suggest; get a universal holder, el-cheap-ish satnav.

I have a 12 volt and 75w inverter installed in the bike. Only thing is, the outlet is currently (no pun intended) under the pillion seat. Not a biggie to run it up to the handle bar. Only reason I haven't already is I heard there are problems with water ingress.

Any suggestions which 12v outlets are really water tight and a good buy?
Old 03-04-14, 07:37 PM   #10
rockchunk

have a tomtom rider 2 ,,mates got a cheep car one in a waterproof case ,,went to croatia his was every bit as good as mine for a fraction of the cost,,when mine gives up it will be a cheepo for me ,,just my tupence worth