SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-09-16, 05:58 AM   #11
DomP

Default Re: Motorcyclist stats

I fudged my stats, my 65 year old dad has a bike license but hasnt ridden since he was around 19-20.

Hmm...HGV next.....
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-16, 11:14 PM   #12
Swin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomP View Post
I fudged my stats, my 65 year old dad has a bike license but hasnt ridden since he was around 19-20.

Hmm...HGV next.....
Forgot about that, my pa also rode bikes in his 20s, a James Cadet and a Norton 350 (Navigator) are 2 I know he had back in the day
Swin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-16, 06:55 AM   #13
DomP

My parents have an inherited 350 navigator in a very sorry stat along with a jubilee and 1924 raleigh popular
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-16, 07:29 AM   #14
daktulos

Do grandfather rights play a part here? I know my (fairly long deceased) grandmother had a full driving licence without having ever taken a test - would the same have applied to motorcycle licences? I can only find references to 50cc grandfather rights, but those are much more recent than I was thinking.

Actually, to answer my own question, testing started in the 30s, so no one would be under 70 now. I found a nice history here:

http://www.motuk.com/Motorbike-MOT-history.asp
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-16, 10:00 AM   #15
Trev B

It also states 7 out of 4 people can't do fractions......well I'm the oldest of 6 kids,5 boys and 1 girl,all the boys and my father have car and bike licence,sister car licence only and my mum a bus pass !!!
Old 30-09-16, 10:10 AM   #16
Trev B

PS.......my dads 83,doesn't drive any more,not rode a bike for 40 years but crashed his madge mobile good style and got thrown off onto the pavement,he was ok but doesn't even ride that now,now got a 3 wheeled walking thing for around the house(his reliant as he calls it) and guess what....yep crashed that down in the greenhouse he was fine but the good news is he's still got a few tomatoes left !!!
Old 30-09-16, 10:10 AM   #17
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Feel happy your a minority.
And this should give you some sort of community spirit
Old 30-09-16, 06:16 PM   #18
Swin

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
Do grandfather rights play a part here? I know my (fairly long deceased) grandmother had a full driving licence without having ever taken a test - would the same have applied to motorcycle licences? I can only find references to 50cc grandfather rights, but those are much more recent than I was thinking.

Actually, to answer my own question, testing started in the 30s, so no one would be under 70 now. I found a nice history here:

http://www.motuk.com/Motorbike-MOT-history.asp
I know my dad tells us that he took his test in Folkestone, probably late 50s, was told to take a set of turns, got lost, made his way back to the test centre and was told he passed - "well, you found your way back here didn't you"

He also had a isetta 3 wheeler, and I'm sure he told me once he never took a car test as it was on a motorbike licence as long as it didn't have a reverse gear, something like that
Swin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-16, 12:37 AM   #19
Mrs DJ Fridge

My dad, aged 80 has a full HGV and bike licence, both of which he uses all the time. He also drives racing ponies round a mad slalom course, I want to be as lively as him when I am his age.
Old 01-10-16, 07:47 PM   #20
Heorot

My dad, now sadly deceased, never passed a test. The army taught him to drive and after the war he just carried on as a lorry driver, eventually driving HGV1's. When they brought in tests for HGV's, he got grandfather rights.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote