SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-07-07, 12:52 PM   #1
krhall

Default Waterproof Boots - Advice Needed

Anyone got any good advice or recommendations for some decent (and pref cheap) waterproof boots?

My current ones allow some water in and although they are comfy I can't cope with that, especially in the winter.
Old 04-07-07, 12:55 PM   #2
Baph

Default Re: Waterproof Boots - Advice Needed

My current boots are Sidi Black Rains, beautiful dry & warm boots.

Anything with a gore-tex liner will keep your feet dry for a year miniumum, or your money back (or Gore-tex will repair them at their cost)... those nice folks at Gore-tex give a good warranty.
Old 04-07-07, 01:03 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Liz's black rains leaked, also I think Viney has been through 3 pairs that leaked as well.

Liz and I both have a pair of Alpinestars SM3 Goretex, mine have never leaked and have always kept my feet dry and warm. Also IMHO they have more armour and protection that the Sidi's.

Also Liz's Sidis scratched the hell out of the heel plates on her SV due to the plastic bit on the inside of the boot.

Unfortunately being Alpinestarts they are not exactly cheap, but then with gear you get what you pay for. If you buy a pair ( if you can still get them they might have been replaced with a Goretex version of the SMX4 ) make sure the Velcro does up properly as some including mine dont close properly.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 01:03 PM   #4
silver surfer

I've got a pair of Swift boots. Mine are a couple of years old but still waterproof. Theres some onhttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nitro-Swift-M2R-Superbike-Leather-Motorcycle-Boots-10_W0QQitemZ190127867104QQihZ009QQcategoryZ122213Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ebay.
Old 04-07-07, 01:04 PM   #5
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Also Liz's Sidis scratched the hell out of the heel plates on her SV due to the plastic bit on the inside of the boot.
My heel plates were gone a LONG time ago.
Old 04-07-07, 01:05 PM   #6
Mogs

You could consider using waterproof goretex socks - they work and you can uses any boot.
Old 04-07-07, 01:05 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
My heel plates were gone a LONG time ago.
Theres always one isn't there and I knew it would be you

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 01:08 PM   #8
Demonz

Anything Goretex is good. I've got the entry level Goretex Daytona's and they have always stayed dry - not cheap though. Socks sound like the best idea though.
Old 04-07-07, 01:11 PM   #9
Baph

Quote:
Theres always one isn't there and I knew it would be you
Hey now!! My bike has been washed I'll have you know!! Ok, so maybe only twice* during the last 23000miles... but washed it has been!!

*does a jet wash count?
Old 04-07-07, 01:11 PM   #10
krhall

Quote:
Unfortunately being Alpinestarts they are not exactly cheap, but then with gear you get what you pay for
I'm starting to learn that........sadly

I have some Swift Torsion X Race Boots, which leak already and they are only a few months old!!! I paid £69.99 for them.

I also have the same problem with my Akito Defence textile jacket and trousers, mind you for £99.99 for the set did I really think that they would be 100% waterproof although it does state that they are.