SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-08-07, 08:25 PM   #1
toonyank

Default The purpose of a forum?

Re: Top Speed

Taken from earlier thread.

Boring I know but what is the top end speed you have had out of your SV flat out with no pillion??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01
If you're that interested, do a search

Really helpful thanks. If everyone did a search you'd have no forum - Just an archieve of information!

__________________________________________________ __________________

Yeah so what is the point of a forum? Just that, so people can discuss things. Yes and if they run on and evolve into a different subject..... so what's the harm?

I'm now getting bored with this forum even though I'm new. I mean I can here the same sort of crapola at work.
Old 02-08-07, 09:53 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: The purpose of a forum?

I think you're being a dab hasty.

There are a number of subjects that simply have been done to death, of which 'what is your top speed' is possibly the most irrelevant. It's irrelevant because speedos aren't that accurate, how could anyone possibly claim 140mph from a near standard bike otherwise, and it always guarantees ludicrous willy waving.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"

Last edited by Sid Squid; 02-08-07 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-07, 10:05 PM   #3
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
ludicrous willy waving.
And there is nothing more ludicrous than a willy being waved, believe me. We know you've got them, guys, but keep em in your pants, eh?

I can see both sides of the argument here. I haven't been a member that long, but even I think 'Oh no, not this subject again' sometimes, so how those who have been here for donkeys years feel I can only imagine. That said, there are new people joining all the time, and to them everything is a fresh subject to be discussed.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-07, 10:14 PM   #4
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

696 mph ....... but not on an SV..
I was pillion following a pilot... yes big willy waving upto about 45000 ft, him in his Torando ... wot ever...
Scared the $hit out of me.
but the guys in the Hawks have more fun so I'm told.
Old 02-08-07, 10:17 PM   #5
toonyank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
That said, there are new people joining all the time, and to them everything is a fresh subject to be discussed.
Well that's it, and if you don't want to read the thread then don't. Most of it's just for a laugh anyway unless it's obiously not.

Sometimes I think of myself as an anorak and that's the time where I log off.
Old 02-08-07, 10:23 PM   #6
toonyank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
696 mph ....... but not on an SV..
I was pillion following a pilot... yes big willy waving upto about 45000 ft, him in his Torando ... wot ever...
Scared the $hit out of me.
but the guys in the Hawks have more fun so I'm told.
See what I mean, Richie is already veering from the subject but who cares. We'll let him off cus he's from the northeast and he doesn't know any better
Old 02-08-07, 10:23 PM   #7
Tim in Belgium

I think these subjects will come up time and time again, but as threads have titles you can miss the out if you want, knee down, top speed, fuel range, pointy or curvy, etc, but people still like to chat about them, so let them. The only reason to stop a thread is if it steps outside the boundaries of the forum, whatever these are...
Old 02-08-07, 10:23 PM   #8
Tim in Belgium

PS what is the fastest colour?
Old 02-08-07, 10:25 PM   #9
toonyank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
PS what is the fastest colour?
Grand Candy Blue of course IMHO
Old 02-08-07, 10:28 PM   #10
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonyank View Post
Re: Top Speed

Taken from earlier thread.

Boring I know but what is the top end speed you have had out of your SV flat out with no pillion??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01
If you're that interested, do a search

Really helpful thanks. If everyone did a search you'd have no forum - Just an archieve of information!

__________________________________________________ __________________

Yeah so what is the point of a forum? Just that, so people can discuss things. Yes and if they run on and evolve into a different subject..... so what's the harm?

when you've been here more than 5 minute you'll see certain post topics rotate and come up every month or two, some people don't even know about the search let alone use it so pointing it out is now wrong according to you? threads of any great length are for IB and not the information areas as people can't find relevent info to answer problem they my have.

IB is for chatting and those with time to kill, feel free to chat away in there, relevent on topic posts are fine start diviating to far and it makes no sense of the post title, who desides what to far is, that'd be us moderators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonyank View Post
I'm now getting bored with this forum even though I'm new. I mean I can here the same sort of crapola at work.
Yeah we get the odd new member who hasn't come to terms with the rules, but then that's what keeps this place the way it is, no one is forced to be here.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote