SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-05-07, 08:40 AM   #1
pdthfc

Default petition to stop motorcylce charge for parking

please go to the Downing street website and sign the petition to stop them from charging us to park in motorcylce bays see link below

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/bikeparking/

PDTHFC
Old 19-05-07, 10:54 AM   #2
fullstop102

Default Re: petition to stop motorcylce charge for parking

signed
Old 19-05-07, 11:10 AM   #3
Aline

signed!
Old 19-05-07, 04:35 PM   #4
gettin2dizzy

whilst your at it sign my petition not to tax motorcyclists incomes....

it's about as far fetched. Nothing is free. Encouraging motorcyclists with a low fee seems fair if its backed up with secure bays. I don't see how we have any position to demand free parking.
Old 19-05-07, 04:53 PM   #5
aarond

signed
Old 19-05-07, 08:10 PM   #6
slark01

signed, sealed and delivered
Old 19-05-07, 10:49 PM   #7
Draper

Yeah i have to agree with Dizzy, I mean as far as I read a while ago, many mp's would like to ban bikes from the town centre because 'they're a danger to pedestrians more than cars our'

I would say we're but i'm still waiting for my bike to be delivered!
Old 19-05-07, 11:38 PM   #8
PeterM

Do you guys have m/c specific bays that you have to pay for??!!

That's crap. In Melbourne (Aust) we were able to park on footpaths (with guidlines) and have fee free m/c bays.

This was achieved by an organised protest where hundreds of riders got into the cbd early one morning and parked one bike to a car parking bay, paid the meter and when it expired, everyone shuffled up one, paid the meter etc. This stuffed the ability for any car to park and bikes were allowed our parking freedoms. Any talk of making us pay has been swiftly quashed by reminders of what happened.
Old 20-05-07, 01:15 AM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
it's about as far fetched. Nothing is free. Encouraging motorcyclists with a low fee seems fair if its backed up with secure bays. I don't see how we have any position to demand free parking.
Yup, if it's backed with good bay availability, chain rails, and enforcement then tbh I wouldn't grumble that much- I'm always finding cars in bike bays, frinstance, and very few have ground anchors/rails. If they get a revenue from them then there might even be improvements to numbers- no more wedging the whole soho massive into one space? You never know.

But, in all likelihood, none of that will happen, so...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-07, 01:23 AM   #10
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Do you guys have m/c specific bays that you have to pay for??!!

That's crap. In Melbourne (Aust) we were able to park on footpaths (with guidlines) and have fee free m/c bays.

This was achieved by an organised protest where hundreds of riders got into the cbd early one morning and parked one bike to a car parking bay, paid the meter and when it expired, everyone shuffled up one, paid the meter etc. This stuffed the ability for any car to park and bikes were allowed our parking freedoms. Any talk of making us pay has been swiftly quashed by reminders of what happened.

yeah, making us pay the same as cars would suck, but free is asking a bit much. After all why would they bother having a bike bay with room for 20 free bikes when 2 paying car spaces could be made. As for melbourne- love it used to live on little bourke street near spencer street station. steal me the street sign if you can