SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-05-16, 02:07 PM   #1
ManMango

Default Rear sprocket directional?

Replaced my C&S recently as have half of the forum xd so apologies for another C&S thread but this may help others also!

I would like to ask is the OEM style rear sprocket directional? I don't mean the teeth but there is a slight ridge on one side which would cause the teeth to line up a couple of mm left or right depending on which direction its bolted on.

I ask because I put mine on the same way as the old one that came off. Ridges visible on the outside and noticed the chain slightly catching on inside of the front sprocket, jumping about and making a lovely click. This was all before tightening and adjusting properly.

Being new to this procedure I wasn't sure so I tightened the chain and tested. All seemed good other than still quite clicky on the front so I went on my 800 mile weekender, no issues. Now I'm back I thought I better double check on here and get it flipped over asap if it is the wrong way.

Also with my rear wheel has to go all the way back to the last 2/3 markers before it has correct tension leaving me next to no room for adjustment as it 'stretches'. I could probably remove a whole link and still be in range which It might come to within the life of the chain, any comments?
Old 03-05-16, 02:17 PM   #2
ManMango

Default Re: Rear sprocket directional?

This image taken from google is the same style, mine is mounted the same as this as you can see the ridges.

Old 03-05-16, 03:02 PM   #3
mikerj

That's correct, the side of the sprocket with the recess faces out.
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-16, 03:22 PM   #4
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

You may have bought a C&S set for a naked model which has a slightly longer swingarm and longer chain.That could account for the lack of adjustment.
Old 03-05-16, 03:22 PM   #5
tom_e

You may have a 110 link chain which is what the naked uses the S uses a 108 link.
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-16, 06:07 PM   #6
ManMango

... I did order the Naked and intentionally thinking I would just be getting a different amount of teeth on my sprockets, didn't know that the naked was longer :/ Funny thing is I counted teeth when it came through and was no different from my old set...

Does it matter that my chain has two extra links? Is it easy enough to remove two links without causing any damage to my chain?
Old 03-05-16, 06:32 PM   #7
ManMango

Scrap that, removing two links should be a doddle. Ill get a new master on order and keep it as is for now until I get any closer to running out of adjustment room.

Any comments on the chain catching on the front sprocket and jumping? do brand new front sprockets often make a clickedy click? (I mainly notice it when moving the bike with the engine off) I have not felt any knocking or clicking through my left foot while riding.
Old 03-05-16, 07:34 PM   #8
mikerj

New chains and sprockets can be a bit noisy when you spin the rear wheel by hand IME. The C&S I fitted to my Fireblade were like this.
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote