SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-12-17, 10:57 AM   #21
Talking Heads

Default Re: Triumph Bobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
as article says 'Triumph UK sales down 15.5% year-on-year'.
Interestingly the article doesn't say that.
What it does say is that total UK sales of all motorcycles are down 15.5%
There is no mention in the article of what Triumph's UK sales figures are, just some meaningless unsupported claim about being the market leader in bikes over 500cc.
What we have with this Visordown article is a classic example of journalistic bias and spin.

Out of curiosity I had a look for Bobber sales figures and it would appear there were 711 Bobbers registered in Q1 and Q2 of 2017

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicl...le_bobber#!tax
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-17, 12:05 PM   #22
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Interestingly the article doesn't say that.
What it does say is that total UK sales of all motorcycles are down 15.5%
Oops - bit of a misread by me who saw Triumph in headline, -- Triumph Bobber sales in UK are pretty good.

may sell a few Bobbers to Saudi as well ...
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...i-women-lifted

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-17, 08:37 PM   #23
Talking Heads

Over the mentioned time period the Bobber outsold the StreetTwin two to one which given how good the StreetTwin is seems pretty amazing.
Old 23-12-17, 09:24 AM   #24
DomP

Quote:
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...es-and-profits

The lower value of £Sterling may have helped Triumph overseas, but as article says 'Triumph UK sales down 15.5% year-on-year'.

Don't really like the look of the Bobber but as others say 'whatever floats your boat'.

Off topic a bit, Here is another story from Visordown on autonomous vehicle and motorbike colliding
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...d-rider-blamed

so easy to blame the rider and preserve the idea in peoples minds that Autonomous vehicles are safe.....
( just look at that car with its array of sensors, vandals just love to snap off car mirrors, so many more tempting targets on that car).
I've just been thinking about driverless cars, where I live in rural Herefordshire at this time of year muddy roads are pretty normal to the point the reversing sensors on my van begin to be untrustworthy.

Not sure I'd trust an autonomous vehicle around here!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 23-12-17, 09:46 AM   #25
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomP View Post
I've just been thinking about driverless cars, where I live in rural Herefordshire at this time of year muddy roads are pretty normal to the point the reversing sensors on my van begin to be untrustworthy.

Not sure I'd trust an autonomous vehicle around here!

Governments don't want any one upsetting the apple cart, they have rushed headlong into BEV and driverless vehicles as the latest way to 'save the planet' (just like Diesel, Wind power, solar power etc, etc.) like a drowning man clutching a straw. What about frost, snow, squashed insects, leaves, mud etc. blocking sensors.

On the Guy Martin and the robot car program the other day one of the scientists said to get an autonomous vehicle to drive a simple route 'would take millions of lines of code' - that robot race car has crashed more than once just going around a simple track with no other vehicles in sight.

If they ever become a reality AV are going to trash 10's millions of jobs while providing only hundreds of jobs in high tech companies.

The only way to save planet is to severely restrict population, which no government is willing to tackle - so the 'MM climate change proponents' and others can put their theories up their jacksies until they tackle the 'elephant in the room' (which within 30 years may well be the only elephant on the planet LOL).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 23-12-17, 09:49 AM   #26
DomP

Quote:
Governments don't want any one upsetting the apple cart, they have rushed headlong into BEV and driverless vehicles as the latest way to 'save the planet' (just like Diesel, Wind power, solar power etc, etc.) like a drowning man clutching a straw. What about frost, snow, squashed insects, leaves, mud etc. blocking sensors.

On the Guy Martin and the robot car program the other day one of the scientists said to get an autonomous vehicle to drive a simple route 'would take millions of lines of code' - that robot race car has crashed more than once just going around a simple track with no other vehicles in sight.

If they ever become a reality AV are going to trash 10's millions of jobs while providing only hundreds of jobs in high tech companies.

The only way to save planet is to severely restrict population, which no government is willing to tackle - so the 'MM climate change proponents' and others can put their theories up their jacksies until they tackle the 'elephant in the room' (which within 30 years may well be the only elephant on the planet LOL).
Totally agree with all you say. I be saying for years that the real issue that's being avoided is population growth, bit rich coming from me with four children!

Old 23-12-17, 10:24 AM   #27
DomP

Also how do you tell a driverless car to bend the rules and mount a verve to pass a tractor or lorry on a lane?

Old 23-12-17, 10:30 AM   #28
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Totally agree with all you say. I be saying for years that the real issue that's being avoided is population growth, bit rich coming from me with four children!
4 kids is nothing (UK needs the natives to breed more LOL) when in third world countries 12+ seems to be the norm.

Old 23-12-17, 11:18 AM   #29
Talking Heads

Quote:
Also how do you tell a driverless car to bend the rules and mount a verve to pass a tractor or lorry on a lane?
It will sense the tractor or lorry long before it comes into view and adjust its speed so that they pass at a suitable spot?

Remember, there's not really much (if anything) machines can't do better than humans.

Humans are becoming increasingly redundant, eventually machines will have no need of them whatsoever.

Todays IT hardware is the primordial soup from which the next life-form will spring.

Machines will be able to explore the universe in a way that humans never will.
Old 23-12-17, 11:27 AM   #30
DomP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
It will sense the tractor or lorry long before it comes into view and adjust its speed so that they pass at a suitable spot?

Remember, there's not really much (if anything) machines can't do better than humans.

Humans are becoming increasingly redundant, eventually machines will have no need of them whatsoever.

Todays IT hardware is the primordial soup from which the next life-form will spring.

Machines will be able to explore the universe in a way that humans never will.
I can't see how on some of the tight bendy lanes around us with no suitable passing places that it would be possible to sense an oncoming vehicle.

In any case demand is what drives sales and I can't see the public wanting driverless cars