SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-12-18, 07:06 PM   #161
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: Quote of the day (sorry, Brexit related)

I read through both of those links. Could you draw my attention to the parts that support your argument because I didn't see any. They are quite long though and I might have glossed over parts.
Old 19-12-18, 08:42 PM   #162
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I agree. I read it and it seems to confirm that there was no constitutional requirement so they made it up as they went along. Several very learned opinions but nothing definite. That is typical of the largely unwritten British constitution.Everyone has an opinion but often no one is right.
Anyone got an opinion about our membership of Nato and its implications?
Old 20-12-18, 12:42 AM   #163
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
So you are arguing against yourself again, if no referendum can be binding in UK then original referendum that kept UK in EU was not binding either.

You seem to have added arms and legs onto what I wrote.
I'll try again.
The EU referendum was not binding it was consultative.
Note that I have not mentioned any other referendums or the legal status of other referendums, just the one we're discussing.
In the UK referendums can be either binding or consultative, it depends on the supporting legislation for the particular referendum in question.

Quote:
Once you start all this disputing of referendum results you open up a massive can of constitutional law worms.......
I'm not disputing the results but I do have issue with the facts that the leave campaign has been found to have broken electoral law and also told a whole bunch of porkies.

Quote:
Any second indyreferendum in Scotland would be held under UK law, so that could be looked on as 'advisory' as well and the result ignored....and so on...and so on.....

There is no single "UK law", Scots law applies in Scotland.

A second referendum on Scottish independence could be either binding or consultative, as mentioned above, it would depend on the supporting legislation.
Should also be noted that Scotland does not require permission from westminster to hold a referendum on independence.
We may not require to have a second referendum in any case because there are other legitimate mechanisms by which Scotland can declare its independence.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-18, 10:03 AM   #164
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post

A second referendum on Scottish independence could be either binding or consultative, as mentioned above, it would depend on the supporting legislation.
Should also be noted that Scotland does not require permission from westminster to hold a referendum on independence.
We may not require to have a second referendum in any case because there are other legitimate mechanisms by which Scotland can declare its independence.
Scotland is not allowed to hold referenda on constitutional matters, they need the permission of UK parliament in Westminster where powers are temporarily transferred from westminster to hollyrood under section 30 - that referendum would be under UK law so not binding ( as no referendum can be in UK law), the UK parliament could ignore the result and not do anything.

https://fullfact.org/law/can-scotlan...er-referendum/

https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...h-independence

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-18, 10:07 AM   #165
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I see the EU has released details about its preparations for a no deal brexit. Curiously, there is no mention of the Irish border and yet, by EU rules, there must be a hard border between an EU and a non EU country.

The no deal petition has now exceeded 250,000 signatures. Nick Boles is the MP for Stamford/Grantham and he said he will quit the Conservative party in the event of a no deal option and yet his constituency is one of the higher signers of the petition. On the other hand Rees-Mogg's constituency are much lower signers, maybe they need to switch counties.
If you split Brexit vote by constituencies over 400 voted leave, if it had been a general election that would have been a landslide victory. What muddied the water was that in a GE people vote along party lines, but the only parties to have 'remain' in their manifesto did very badly, greens have 1 MP and libdumbs have 12 - interestingly the conservative party lost seats but had its highest share of votes since 1983.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 20-12-18 at 10:12 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-18, 11:07 AM   #166
Bibio
Mega Poster

the Gov is lining everything up for the big knockdown. think about it, if there is no hard border in NI then Scotland will go nuts so they cant publish the details as they would be fighting two sides. its a typical Gov tactic they done exactly the same with the Scottish referendum only this time they haven't got the banks, retail and English loyal business to blackmail the public into thinking that it will be turmoil.

strange how the banks and retail are keeping out of it but it affects them the most......... do they secretly know something we dont?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-18, 03:25 PM   #167
Bibio
Mega Poster

i'll bet Putin wants to back May, in fact i bet he wants to stick it up her back side. think of the huge trade market for mother Russia.

on a side note. if the majority of the Europeans have to leave the UK they will have to sell their homes, this will have a massive knock on effect with house prices due to a glut in the market.. this in turn will have a knock on effect with the GBP.
Old 20-12-18, 05:59 PM   #168
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i'll bet Putin wants to back May, in fact i bet he wants to stick it up her back side. think of the huge trade market for mother Russia.

on a side note. if the majority of the Europeans have to leave the UK they will have to sell their homes, this will have a massive knock on effect with house prices due to a glut in the market.. this in turn will have a knock on effect with the GBP.
Would that stop all the young people whinging that housing is far to expensive ??.

If my house value went down to 50p I could buy a big one with a swimming pool for a fiver.

Seriously mind, house prices as a multiple of earnings has been relatively stable for decades. Allegedly a free market, so if there's a glut onto the market and prices fall, buyers who previously couldn't afford a first house or to upgrade will move in. I'm completely unconcerned.
Old 20-12-18, 06:13 PM   #169
Bibio
Mega Poster

house prices have no relation to income the two are so far apart that people cant afford houses any more. ok yes i can remember the "spam estates" but even the middle class are finding way more difficult to get onto the housing market.

problem with house prices going down is negative equity, just what the UK economy needs. this would force the banks to push up mortgage rates then the stone would gather no moss.

dont bother me either as i own mine outright.
Old 20-12-18, 06:14 PM   #170
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
Would that stop all the young people whinging that housing is far to expensive ??.

If my house value went down to 50p I could buy a big one with a swimming pool for a fiver.
Didn't know you could swim, Malc
Pity the average feckless yoof has less than a fiver savings