SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-06-08, 10:42 AM   #1
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Britains most dangerous

The cat named and shamed again
Old 30-06-08, 10:48 AM   #2
gettin2dizzy

Default Re: Britains most dangerous

Yup. I wonder how many accidents are caused by the poor condition of the road and the massive lorries that haunt it all day long. I've seen many bikes doing daft overtakes to pass the slow moving goliaths who seem to cut every single corner.

We're not blameless however
Old 30-06-08, 10:57 AM   #3
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
Yup. I wonder how many accidents are caused by the poor condition of the road and the massive lorries that haunt it all day long. I've seen many bikes doing daft overtakes to pass the slow moving goliaths who seem to cut every single corner.

We're not blameless however
Have you actually been? The A537 is pretty much spot on....hence why its so popular, most corners have biker friendly armco installed now and theres not a pot hole in sight, the surface is good.

Also all the times I have been there I havnt seen masses of trucks, if any at all, and thats in the week and at weekends.

I have seen 4 crashes now all of which were completely rider error, a lowside and 3 'too fast, panic, break moments' two of which were caused by bikes following to closely.

Bikes need to calm down, learn the road, then ride it fast. If it was looked into. I would put vast amounts of money on it being mostly weekend/summer riders making an occaional pilgrimage there and getting carried that make up most of those statistic.
Old 30-06-08, 11:01 AM   #4
Razor

I got cut up by a muppet on a CBR a few weeks back. Got in front of me just before a bend and then braked hard, I wasn't going to touch my brakes... He continued on for about 3-4 bends and then using the full width of the road nearly had a head on with a car. I had backed off to give this moron some space and passed him as he seemed to be quite shaken by his near miss.
Old 30-06-08, 11:06 AM   #5
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I got cut up by a muppet on a CBR a few weeks back. Got in front of me just before a bend and then braked hard, I wasn't going to touch my brakes... He continued on for about 3-4 bends and then using the full width of the road nearly had a head on with a car. I had backed off to give this moron some space and passed him as he seemed to be quite shaken by his near miss.

And that is the big problem, people getting carried away.
Old 30-06-08, 11:11 AM   #6
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Have you actually been?
Yeah loads of times. I lived in Manchester last year so went there pretty often. I nearly always get stuck behind lorries! They churn up the road in to gravel on the corners, and spread it on to the road from junctions.

There's a lot of nutters on that road for sure. It's hard to learn it all, and pretty involving. No surprise really that people come off the whole time.
Old 30-06-08, 11:23 AM   #7
ThEGr33k

ABSOLUTLY AMAZING ROAD!!!!

But these numbers are getting thrown out of proportion as always. I stopped off at the the pub and it gives all the stats and I think in 5 years 8 (dont think they were all bikers) died. So a lot of serious injuries but then that could "just" be gravel rash because of people no wearing good kit. Most of the accidents were because of silly overtaking, but there is no need tbh as you can see very well once you are getting upto the top.

They say its because out outlook on safty... well surly thats out choice? As long as you dont hurt anyone else whats the problem?

Oh and the last time I went over there, there was a MR2 over the edge with fron on a wall back end on the edge of the road... all wheels off the floor LOL. and a Daewoo on its roof. doh.
Old 30-06-08, 11:26 AM   #8
G
Mega Poster

Seriously I travel it 3 times a week on weekdays everyweek when most trucks are on the road and theres next to never any trucks on it, maybe farm trucks full of parsnips for their sheep occasional lol, and the surface is defo not churned up apart from the very first 200m of the 537 (which is now sorted) as you come out of buxton.

If you were talking of the A54 (amazing road, possibly better than the 537) which leads off of the A537 then that is a churned up gravely beast, you sure you were riding the right road .
Old 30-06-08, 11:29 AM   #9
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
well surly thats our choice? As long as you dont hurt anyone else whats the problem?

Because the road gets closed and alot of time and resources are spent scraping people off the floor, most of the time involving air ambulance (£££) because its in the sticks.
Old 30-06-08, 11:33 AM   #10
rob13

speaking about scraping people up, what happened to the "And he lived" thread?