SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-07-10, 07:45 PM   #1
Ed

Default This is just nuts!!!!!

I missed the sodding ferry at Calais, despite caning it up the autoroute. This was in an email from Bill, about what happened.

It's a great read. What Bill doesn't say is when he passed me and left me standing, I was doing 95-100

'
Hi Paul - you were quick off the mark with a round robin!

You answered my imminent question, "come on Paul - tell us all how you managed to get off the boat!"

For those who missed the many little adventures in the last 10 miles, this is what happened..............

Most of the group got away from the hotel in batches of 4 or 5 riders about 9:10 / 9:15am. I thought I was the last to get away, about 9:20am, but I found out aftwerwards that Marvin, Colin and Tony were still there then.

I caught about 8 riders half way to Epernay, and we crossed the city together, and all got on the motorway in Reims at about the same time. Many of us filled up at the first main services, still approx 271km from Calais (169 miles?). I knew I'd make Calais fairly easily from here, although some others would definatley need another fuel stop. Some by-passed this fuel stop and filled later - I saw Simon's GS as we passed a service station some distance later.

We pass Ed on the 675, about 80 miles (?) from Calais - he's due to make it on time. We never see the Essex boys - but if they left after us, that's not surprising

With a combination of a lively cruising speed and no more fuel stops required, myself, Nathan & Tracy and Andy Balding were due to arrive in Calais in plenty of time for the 13:10 ferry. By looking at the km marker boards and making mental calculations, I reckoned we'd be there by 12:00 noon. I wanted to get there first and sort out the reservations, and add Tracy to the group. I even dropped the pace a bit now, 'cos time was on our side, and it might be a good idea to conserve fuel. Plus, the Gendarmes know all about English drivers on the A26, trying to make a last dash for the ferry.

Apart from a bit of wind noise all was going so well..................

Until we got to within 15 miles of Calais.

At the last peage, Nathan said the fuel warning light was flashing angrily on his ZX12R. We knew it would be close, but we thought a 24 litre tank on the big Kwak would be fine. Mine's only a 21 litre tank on the Fazer 1000, and I know it makes Epernay to Calais OK. (220+ miles at a steady 80, or still 160+ miles if thrashed, or ridden up and down mountains). A 24 litre tank should have been fine - but, two-up, lots of non-streamlined luggage, and autobahn speeds conspired against us.

About 5 miles after the Peage, Nathan rolls to a halt on the hard shoulder. Dry. Andy on the Sprint 1050 has no fuel to donate either - as he's on fumes. I have an indicated almost 1/4 tank left, but we don't have a pipe. I drag out the tow ropes, but Nathan looks very scared.
So I sacrifice the drinks tube from my Camelbak, and Nathan siphons out two 500ml bottles for his Kwak. He also drinks a bit for good measure.

Great! We're on our way again. 10 minutes wasted - but still on course to catch the ferrry.

Wot? !! ?? Nathan runs dry again about 5 miles later! Impossible? No.

Out comes the siphon tube again, and Nathan, with some difficulty, siphons off another bottle of fuel, and splashes some around his face. The Great Smell of BP. He needs water to rinse his burning face flesh. Siphoning is now difficult as there's only about 1cm of fuel left in the Fazer. It's very low, and my fuel light is on as well now. Another 10 minutes lost.

Paul stops, but I say, "keep going, or you'll miss the ferry". Other riders catch us up and begain to stop - but I insist - "keep going, or you will miss the boat". Time is getting very tight now, an dwe're also stopped on quite a dangerous right hand bend, as the motorway comes to an end.

Off we go again. Until we come across Paul, who's now also run out of fuel about a mile further down the road. The port is almost in sight now, but still a good deal further than pushing distance. I tell Nathan and Tracy to keep going, or they'll run out again as well. Another 10 minutes lost.

I bring out the Thule roof straps, and attach Paul's 660 Tenere to mine, using the foot peg to foot peg method. I tow him the last mile or so to the docks.

Then there's a 20 minute queue at Customs! Aaaargh! After all that, we still might miss the boat. It's gone 12:45pm now. The check-in lady is concerned, and radioes ahead, to say 2 more bikes are coming (the rest are through now). Paul pushes his bike through Douanes, and I tow him again, to the elusive lane 46. After about 45 seconds of "frustrated ranting" (Bill - "why didn't you fill up Paul?" Small tank, 660 single, thrashed to it's limits = small fuel range!), and we're boarding.

Simon's GS is already on the car deck, and I recognise a few others. I get strapped down next to Ian Pointer's BMW RT. Paul pushes his bike aboard.

We all meet up in a lounge on deck 7. Liz & David are there, Andy, Ian, Simon turn up, Paul, and others. Someone said they saw Chris' orange Versys on the car deck - so Chris & Luke made it??? But we never saw them on the boat. Were you on there guys? Liz thinks the Essex boys decided to go to Belgium to buy fags, so we didn't worry about them.

Turns out they turned down the Fags idea, and made for the boat instead. Text from Colin confirms they reached Calais, and are waiting to board the 14:40 ferry, with Ed. Ed must have stopped for another fuel stop & a rest, 'cos I reckoned he should have made it. Liz had seen him as well, and said he wasn't all that far from Calais.

On arrival in Dover. We give the bottle and siphon tube to Paul, and Ian offers his BMW tank to "help yourself". Paul doesn't like the taste, and asks if the one inch he's transferred to the bottle wil be enough. I suggest it won't be, and he should carry on trying. Me, Ian & Simon exchange glances............... "shall we off?" Err.., sorry, Paul, NO! We've done it too many times already we don't like the taste of petrol either. Looks like you're pushing it mate. You know your range is approx 150 miles now (when thrashed) with only 40 on reserve (which is quite good actually).

The rest is history - Paul pushed through UK border control, and walked to the the petrol station to buy a can of fuel. Nathan just made the nearest station in Dover to fill up, Andy & I felt dangerous, so risked the big hill to reach the first services. Mine took just over 19 litres (and I'd give away nearly 2). It's a 21 litre tank, so I had loads left!!!!! I love my Fazer '
Old 05-07-10, 07:57 PM   #2
xXBADGERXx

Default Re: This is just nuts!!!!!

I can almost taste the fuel .
Old 05-07-10, 08:18 PM   #3
Bri w

Yuk!

I haven't done that for a while.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-10, 08:32 PM   #4
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

ewwww petrol burps!!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-10, 08:38 PM   #5
anna
Mega Poster

oh my god smell of petrol in the lid mmmmmmmmmmmmmm thats not going to go away for a while .. yuckie
anna is offline   Reply With Quote