SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Have you phoned a company based on signwritten van
Yes 17 65.38%
No 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-10-10, 09:14 AM   #1
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Default Van sign writing...

How many of you have phoned up a company for their product/services after seeing one of their vans?

Asking as I currently run around in a plain white van and am wondering if its worth getting it sign written?
Old 13-10-10, 09:20 AM   #2
Owenski

Default Re: Van sign writing...

Asked the same question to a sparky friend after he had his van sign written, his calls increased but all he got from it tended to be "can you give me a price for" he actually saw very little additional work.
Old 13-10-10, 09:22 AM   #3
keithd

i'd say just get it done anyway. costs about 2-3 hundred quid i think, obviously depending on what you want but once its done its done

i've got business on the back of seeing lorries with names and numbers on the side of their wagons, figured if they're transporting they'd need my product

i regulalry see an electricians van on my way to work, as well as a scaffolder and a general builder. i know that if i need any of those services they are names that will spring to mind. provided you dont write in the dirt on the back of the van "i wish my wife was as dirty as this..." etc etc chortle ho ho how hilarious you'll be good to go
Old 13-10-10, 09:23 AM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Yep. Local tyre company's mobile fitting van drove past me when I was about to go get a new tyre for the GSXR, I rang them and got a price and they got the work. I was pleased with the service and price so will be using them from now on.

Only thing to bear in mind is that with the advert on the van, it might make you a target for thieves, I've seen some companies use a magnet sign that can be removed from the side of the van so remove the company branding etc etc when its parked up at night.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-10, 09:27 AM   #5
BigBaddad

Just be creative.
Old 13-10-10, 09:28 AM   #6
timwilky
Mega Poster

I think sign written vans are more a customer confidence thing. It tends to indicate you are in it for the right reasons, you are advertising what you do. A plain van can indicate you are here today gone tomorrow.

What my lad did was to get some magnetic mats made up with his company info on. Whenever he was on a job he stuck them on the sides/back and pulled them off after he left. Most of his work came from word of mouth.

My brothers building company, all vans are sign written. but he changed the format a couple of years ago and the older stuff now looks out of place. He has got a few jobs on housing estates where the neighbours see 5 sign written vans and realise they are all working on one job and get nosey and then the how much starts etc.
Old 13-10-10, 09:32 AM   #7
tigersaw
Mega Poster

My neighbour is having a bathroom fitted. Theres been some fat f**k sitting in a van eating crisps and reading the paper all morning parked across our drives, supposedly working. Fortunately his van is sign written so I can be sure to tell everyone I know not to use his services.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-10, 09:33 AM   #8
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post

Only thing to bear in mind is that with the advert on the van, it might make you a target for thieves, I've seen some companies use a magnet sign that can be removed from the side of the van so remove the company branding etc etc when its parked up at night.

The target for thieves thing doesn't really bother me. My van has no windows at the back for them to break and has extra security locks so they wouldn't be able to force the door or anything.

And if the worst does happen it's all fully comp and got tool cover as well
Old 13-10-10, 11:22 AM   #9
Specialone

100% get it done, put on the main things you undertake so people can see what you do.
Besides that, it's free advertising.

I got mine done online, cost about £120, fitted myself, took my time as there was a lot of lettering, took me about 3 hrs.

I have plenty of work directly and indirectly from it.
Old 13-10-10, 11:30 AM   #10
cbay
Mega Poster

Well Van Signage is definitely a way to put confidence in customers of what you do as then you not just another "Man in a Van".

Sign writing is definitely a good FREE way to advertise your business. Mobile advertising board basically.

I actually fit Van Signage and Decals etc so drop me a PM and I'll see what we can do for you.
cbay is offline   Reply With Quote