SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-11-10, 02:04 PM   #1
-Ralph-

Default If you want to buy an SV, just do it! It's the end of an era for me.

After 4 1/2 years and 23500 miles of I've sold my SV.

It's been bought and paid for, and is now sheltering in my garage awaiting collection by it's new owner.

Just been out to the garage, had a seat in the saddle, fired up the V-twin for the last time, then stood and looked at it for 10 mins, all polished up and looking it's best for potential buyers. Really strange to think I was actually sitting on somebody else's bike

It's been a great bike, only failed to bring me home once and that was a faulty coil in it's first year which affected a whole batch of K6 SV's. And some bugger switched on the heated grips in London thinking it was a funny joke, and flattened the battery, but that wasn't the bike's fault, jump start from the AA and ride home. It's never been plugged into an Optimate and never needed charging, just hit the button and it starts every time. Other than that we've been up and down the length of the UK and Ireland in all weathers including snow. Commuted and dodged traffic and done 100 mile Sunday morning blasts in under 2 hours. I've crashed it, pushed it out of a muddy field, then got back on rode it home. Done 12 hour journeys loaded with luggage and tents, and paddled the bike backwards into the garage at the end of the day patting the tank and saying "good bike, well done".

Anyone who is on the forum because they are thinking about buying an SV, stop thinking and just go do it. They are a great bike, which will go anywhere and do anything. I'd recommend an SV to anyone.

I've got my XT600 so I'm not bikeless, but back to bike shopping for my next sports tourer, I hope I'll get as much enjoyment out of the next bike as I've had out of this one.

SV

Last edited by -Ralph-; 08-11-10 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-11-10, 05:56 PM   #2
Specialone

Default Re: If you want to buy an SV, just do it! It's the end of an era for me.

+1, apart from crap suspension they are a good bike, i will no doubt have another in the future at some time, possibly a track or winter hack.
I wish my sprints gearbox was as good as my old sv, it was superb, hot or cold.
Old 08-11-10, 06:13 PM   #3
Jabba

Default Re: If you want to buy an SV, just do it! It's the end of an era for me.

I'm in nearly the same boat with my Hornet.

Currently sorned but guy from local independent mechanics coming to take her away to be serviced and MOTed prior to sale. Started her up last weekend after over 18 months. New battery and she popped into life really easily. Beautiful engine, lovely bike, completely and utterly reliable and way faster than I could ever be.

I'm gonna miss her.

2003 03-reg, blue, updated model with 17litre tank and more flexible engine. Will have been serviced and MOTed. 13746 miles. Ex demo bike, I'm the second owner.

If anyone would like to make me a sensible offer.... PM works good
Old 08-11-10, 07:01 PM   #4
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
I wish my sprints gearbox was as good as my old sv, it was superb, hot or cold.
Something I often think when reading bike magazine reviews, and they talk about notchy gearboxes, or jumping out of gear, false neutrals between gears, difficult to find neutral, etc.

How come Suzuki can make the gearbox on my £4000 bike perfect, and all these £7000 plus bikes have problems?

My XT600 needs a good deliberate upward prod from first into second or you change into neutral. you wouldn't think it would be a difficult thing for manufacturers to get right.
Old 08-11-10, 07:04 PM   #5
munkygunn182

I promise i'll look after her!
Old 08-11-10, 07:17 PM   #6
steveg

Ralph
I know how you feel , sold my 06 reg sv today , only bike I've owned from new , did 56000 trouble free miles
Will miss her

Cheers Steveg

Now Triumph sprint 1050 ABS 05 Reg

AKA Papa Smurf
steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 09:04 AM   #7
-Ralph-

It's gone
Old 09-11-10, 09:52 AM   #8
Owenski

There there ralph, its all good - go abuse the XT for an hour or 2.
Old 09-11-10, 10:11 AM   #9
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
......but back to bike shopping for my next sports tourer......

SV

*CHING*

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 05:39 PM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Sweet!

Giz a go mister! I fell in love with the 990S one but the 950 is far more likely to be affordable any time soon