SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-12-10, 06:10 PM   #1
T0mmyGun92

Default How to install LED indicators?

I recently bought a pair of flush mounted LED indicators for my sv650, along with the resistor for it, but unfortunately theres no instructions for installation. The indicators have 2 smaller spade like connectors (the type that are slotted into the bigger 1s) and the resistor has 1 larger and 1 smaller of the same connectors. Firstly i can't work out how you're meant to connect the indicators to the resistor and then secondly how to connect it to the wiring loom on the sv that there is a suzuki specific connector that can be unplugged on the sv but isn't a spade connector so i have no idea how they are supposed to be installed. Does anybody have any idea? Attachhed are pictures of the resistors and indicators that are on the website they were bought from so that you cn get an idea of the connectors i'm talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg led resistors.jpg (90.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg led indicators.jpg (89.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 31-12-10, 06:23 PM   #2
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: How to install LED indicators

Those resistors are **** and will probably overheat very quickly. Rather than using resistors, you're better to replace the stock indicator relay with one that has a constant flash rate. Halfords sell them

For the connections, buy some bullet crimps and get chopping
or if you want to keep the suzuki loom plugs, you can cannibalise the standard indicator cables and put bullet crimps on them.
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 01:37 AM   #3
T0mmyGun92

Default Re: How to install LED indicators?

ok without hacking up any wires first i've managed to connect the indicators into the circuit to check they work and they do, tried it with the resistors and agree with you, they are shyte... although neither my mechanic nor I can work out why there is a male n female wire coming out of either side of the resistor, we can't see what their idea is with that. The resistor isn't slowing down the flash rate, its just making the resistors dimmer. I've found instructions on how to wire in a new relay...
http://www.customdynamics.com/custom...00_flasher.htm
thats the address for anyone else in the same position as me... but I'm unsure as to what relay I would need for it, i'm guessing it would be a 2 pin thing and just wire it up as the diagrams show in that link. Do you know what relays would be best for doing this job and if so, do you have a link?
Old 06-01-11, 01:45 AM   #4
T0mmyGun92

i've been reading also that using a motrax solid state relay seems to work well, just disconnect the wires in the stock relay and solder them straight onto the SSR, would this be what you would suggest? Following that then am i able to just use any 12v ssr such as most of the ones you can get at halfords, to do the job?
Sorry if this seems pretty thick asking, i just don't like hacking at any part of my bike until i know exactly what i'm doing
Old 06-01-11, 02:03 AM   #5
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

I have a halfords honda relay fitted. This guide should tell you how to wire it

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...=flasher+relay
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 02:44 AM   #6
T0mmyGun92

yeah thats what i read and also a thread on the svrider forum which is where i found the link that i posted previously. So would you say that using any of the relays that honda sell for motorbikes, the honda, yamaha, or kawasaki 1s will do the job as long as i wire it up properly? I found on ebay a completely new relay, the whole 7 pin block, that still has the side stand relay and fuel pump relay in, but is corrected to allow for LED usage, but thing costs £38 n tbh i'd rather try n keep it as cheap as possible
Old 06-01-11, 03:31 PM   #7
Matts-Yokes

You have probably wired the resistor in series thus cutting down how much voltage gets to the bulb, you are supposed to wire the resistor across the positive and negative. In effect you are using the resistor as a pretend bulb filament and the fact that it has the leds (that draw very little current) means they will falsh correctly but still get full voltage.....your mechanic couldnt work that out??????
Old 06-01-11, 03:33 PM   #8
Matts-Yokes

Default Re: How to install LED indicators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Those resistors are ****.....
Ignore that comment they are perfectly good for the job, the sh*te ones are the cheaper smaller resistors that have no heatsink (the gold bit)

The heatsink resistors are perfect, you dont need to buy a relay.
Old 06-01-11, 03:42 PM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

No idea why those have 2 wires each side, maybe they are 2 resistors on one heatsink. Get multimeter on them and find out.
Old 06-01-11, 03:49 PM   #10
T0mmyGun92

my mechanic and I tried wiring it up in every way that we could, we tried them in series and in parallel and tried putting 2 resistors on 1 indicator and they're still not doing anything but dimming the light