SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-10-14, 07:34 AM   #1
davepreston

Default Your first time

After reading a comment on another thread I instantly remembered my first every ride on my new (to me) bike after getting my licence the day before
I remember every single detail, every road ,every feeling , every thought firing thru my mind as I did a modest 55 mile run about the quieter roads in my area. now it was a few years ago but it did make such an impact on me it is like a hour in time permanently imbedded in my mind.

So who else remembers their first time, the first time by yourself, fully legal, on your bike of choice, your inaugural ride of you will
Old 02-10-14, 07:46 AM   #2
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: Your first time

My first ride, I was 14 and she.... whoops wrong memories.

First bike ride. god cannot remember, probably when I was about 10. Even got away giving mates name and a address when I got stopped by a cop on a Commando aged about 14.

First legal, must have been when I was 17, probably on the C15, but as I had a few Bantams round then as well, I honestly cannot remember

Edit. Stupid me. No it was the fizzy when I was 16

Last edited by timwilky; 02-10-14 at 07:47 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-14, 08:12 AM   #3
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I remember passing my test back in 1988, riding straight to the local Honda dealer and then waiting around whilst they PDId a brand new CBR600 for me. That was my first ride on a proper bike. When I got home my wife's opening line was, "You've passed you test then, so who's been silly enough to lend you their bike...?"

ps: we actually got married a few weeks later and she never did ask where the honeymoon money went!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-14, 08:32 AM   #4
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

I remember the first test ride on an SV after passing my test more than my first ride after I bought the bike.

I rode from Cupar to Falkland via Auchtermuchty and the sensation of speed when I left the village before Falkland blew me away. I'd already decided that I was going to get the bike when an old boy wandered over in Falkland and commented on how nice the twin sounded as I rode into the area.

I had the same speed sensation when I test rode the gixer, I came out of Paisley and opened it up like I was on the SV for some strange reason I was doing silly speeds up the slip road before I knew it.

Come to think of it every bike I've bought I've known within 2 or 3 miles that I'd be buying it. The Street was the quickest I only got 400 yards and I'd fallen in love with the engine.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-14, 08:57 AM   #5
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Test riding my Thundercat, had a mate with me who took me up there on the back of his bike. We went around Bolton, Bob Smithy Road, Rivvy Barn, ahh the memories, that was my 30ish minute test ride, but when I actually got back with it it turns out we were gone for a few hours Oops

It was fine though, they said "I wasn't worried, you either loved it and was buying it, in which case I was getting paid, or you came off and trashed it, in which case, I was getting paid"

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-14, 09:00 AM   #6
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

10 or 11 my old man's c90. He used to leave the keys in it so I rode it round the road. When he wasn't in might I add otherwise my legs would have been broken.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-14, 09:57 AM   #7
pookie

My first time was on a 180 gilera runner which went along the lines of whayayeee ...wheeee.. followed by what have I done!!!

Its all a bit surreal starting with wow this is fast, big, noisy and then suddenly with plenty of time to look around, enjoying the scenery.

The reoccurring theme on each bike is what have I done .. I'm never going to get on with this..wheres my old bike...but that is only for a short period!
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-14, 11:07 AM   #8
SvNewbie

My first go 'legally' was a week after my CBT I hired a YBR125 to do some practice before I booked my DAS. Got on the thing then realised I only barely had the ability to ride the bloody thing. Thankfully spending literally the whole weekend on it (seriously, must have spent 20+ hours just riding around) I had the basics down. I remember filling it up with £7 worth of petrol on the way back to the hire place. So should have stuck to the 125s!

After picking up my SV I rode straight to Brighton after dropping off the documents. Was a lot of fun but I remember being absolutely shattered afterwards. Funny, now doing 300 miles a day doesn't seem that bad
Old 02-10-14, 11:25 AM   #9
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Never been on a bike but always loved them, 20yrs old, KDX125SR ex-demo transported down to Bike-Rite Rider training in Glasgow.

Few hours later left with a CBT and raced a XR3i away from the 1st set of lights yards from the place. Reached a heady 55mph approaching a shallow, open bend in the city and realised I had never taken a corner at such high speed. In the wet too. So bottled it and went straight on to the other side of the road to the kerb. "Fanny!" Looked down and pretended there was summit wrong with the bike to hide my blushes.

Week later looped it infront of my mates cos I thought I had nailed wheelies. Defo made an impression on them cos they all eventually joined in with the highs and lows of the evil 2-wheeled death machines.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-14, 11:55 AM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

summer 1985. handmedown KH100 was finally built, running and ready for the road.

off i go down the Norwich Union and buy a rider policy which was a princely sum of £15 IIR. back up the road i go and with handmedown helmet gauntlets and belstaff i was off to the MOT station. bike passed with flying colours then it was round to the PO for my road tax which i think was £6 but i could be mistaken there. and that was me no CBT no training no nothing.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote