SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-07-05, 04:21 PM   #1
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Default 636 shock install

I have just finished installing a 636 shock on my curvey sv.

It is set to its minimum preload as my weight is 67kg/11st +- a bit.
The handling is much better, bumpy roads dont cause the bike to occilate out of control and corners feal much more planted as you go around and apply throtle.

Sorry did not include some pictures as did not bring camera from office.

Bummer it needed lots of cutting in the battery box as the resovior points to the rear of the bike unlike the GSXR shocks.

There is no way the battery will fit under the front seat, so unfortunatly i had to get some heavy duty wire and extend the orignal battery cables so it can be installed under the rear seat.

That means that all my spare parts now have to go under the front seat, still space for the toolkit in the rear though.

What have other people done with the battery when installing the 636 shock?
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-05, 02:38 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

I've heard that if you remove the fusebox plastic and place the fuses down into the battery box, you can place the battery on top of the reservoir with a bit of foam to protect it. Definately works for GSXR shocks.

But I'm not sure how good our batteries are with being place on their sides, I know Yams had one blow up in the Cursed Bike- and it's the same shock isn't it?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-05, 05:30 PM   #3
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

yep, same shock, i put the shock under the rear seat, there is no way it will fit under the front seat, i tried, the shock resovior is pointing to the rear and is massive .
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Old 17-07-05, 09:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
yep, same shock, i put the shock under the rear seat, there is no way it will fit under the front seat, i tried, the shock resovior is pointing to the rear and is massive .
Hi mate...

I understand its the one of my old sv...

there is no other option... it is the other 636 which better suits the sv... i bought thaty one buy mistake and worked with it,,, and i wa shappy, but under the seat is the only option for the battery...

Regards
Alex
Old 20-07-05, 09:45 PM   #5
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Pics that show the extent that the 636 shock takes up in the battery box.
As you can see in the first picture, the shock extends to the rear of the battery box, the adjuster to the left side.

The fuse/relay unit has been put to the right side of the shock. I have placed clear plastic behind the shock, because i had to cut the battery box to fit the shock this let water in so the plastic is there to cover the hole in the box.

There is also thick plastic between the shock and the fuse/relay unit. On the right is two connector blocks where i join the battery cables which go up to the rear seat where the battery is located.

It is a bit messy but it works, i do have extra connections for the heated grips, horn & starcom system.

The fuse/relay box is placed over the top and the tool kit is stored under the front seat.

Yes, i keep a spare allen key set under the rear seat so i can open the front seat.

Old 20-07-05, 10:35 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

That's a pretty good solution to your problem I think... My underseat wiring looks a bit like that too
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote