SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-03-06, 08:08 AM   #1
mysteryjimbo

Default Ubuntu

Right, i'm investigating the possiblity of moving across from Windows to Linux on my home pc as i've not played any games in ages. (I might go the dual boot route just in case.)

I've got it installed on a virtual pc to try it out. Who can point in the direction of some good sites for a complete Linux/unix newbie?

How easy is it to dual boot Ubuntu? Simply install after windows like i remember?
Old 20-03-06, 07:23 PM   #2
Weth

I've dual os'ed a laptop with Fedora and used GRUB to run the boot bit,works a treat and I can't see why it wouldn't work with ubuntu.
Old 20-03-06, 07:25 PM   #3
tinpants
Ubique

Absolutely. Quite right. Totally agree.

What??! Pardon?!!!!
Old 21-03-06, 02:55 AM   #4
philipMac

The Story:
http://www.hezardastan.org/breezy_xp_dualboot/en/

Nuff said. Piccys and all.
Dual boot Ubuntu on my laptop. I almost never use MS. (Just for iTunes,,,)

Good luck mate.
Old 21-03-06, 07:18 AM   #5
timwilky
Mega Poster

why dual boot?

Bite the bullet and eradicate MS
Old 21-03-06, 07:48 AM   #6
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
why dual boot?

Bite the bullet and eradicate MS
because, linux is crap for games. Plain and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryjimbo
as i've not played any games in ages. (I might go the dual boot route just in case.)
Old 21-03-06, 09:28 AM   #7
timwilky
Mega Poster

OK at least you are honest and admit you use a PC as a games engine

I hate MS, so unless you absolutely need it I encourage people to look at alternatives. In saying that I am encouraged by the .net framework and think that they are starting to get somewhere, if only they could dump their legacy baggage and start from new first principles, ie true multi user multi tasking OS with a good security
model

The problem with windoze being windoze. you need a good kernel on which you can then hitch any command environement. Don't make the user interface the os.

Another possibility run a virtual PC. VMWare and the like. I guess you would have to host it on your windoze os in order to get your games performance but the best of both worlds.
Old 21-03-06, 09:37 AM   #8
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Another possibility run a virtual PC. VMWare and the like. I guess you would have to host it on your windoze os in order to get your games performance but the best of both worlds.
I've done that as a test already in Vmware so i could have a look around the OS. It convinced me that it's suit my needs. Running in as a virtual PC longterm, defeats the object somewhat in terms of stability, only as stable as the host OS.

I've got it installed now. However my GRUB config is a weebit off so i've got to edit it manually so that it boots off the correct drive for each OS.
Old 21-03-06, 02:20 PM   #9
philipMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryjimbo
Quote:
I've done that as a test already in Vmware so i could have a look around the OS. It convinced me that it's suit my needs. Running in as a virtual PC longterm, defeats the object somewhat in terms of stability, only as stable as the host OS.
Exactly. I am suprised Tim sugested VMware. Yucky. Worst of both worlds a lot of the time IMO.

Sorry I couldnt help getting your dual boot right Jim. Mine works very nicely, but I have heard of people having issues.
Old 21-03-06, 03:43 PM   #10
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipMac

Exactly. I am suprised Tim sugested VMware. Yucky. Worst of both worlds a lot of the time IMO.

Sorry I couldnt help getting your dual boot right Jim. Mine works very nicely, but I have heard of people having issues.
It works if i edit the boot config "real time" but i need to edit the files directly and save them so i dont have to keep doing it.