SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-06-05, 07:26 PM   #1
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

Default I am a mechanic 'ish

I am proud of myself- changed all my pads and bled the system today all on my own- wot a good boy!.. anyone any top tips for bleeding the system??
Old 11-06-05, 12:31 PM   #2
weegaz22

Default Re: I am a mechanic 'ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiff Wichard
anyone any top tips for bleeding the system??
buy a speed bleeder of some sort, makes life so much easier
Old 11-06-05, 02:20 PM   #3
wheelnut

fasten a tiewrap around your front brake lever tonight and feel the improvement in the morning, see if you can do the same with the rear brake.

It gets rid of any excess air bubbles after you have bled the system, even though there shouldnt be any
Old 11-06-05, 05:50 PM   #4
spudnuts

Well i changed oil and filter and also removed calipers front and back, cleaned them up, and re-assembled, and they still work :P
What pads did you put in, mine are on the way out.

spudnuts
Old 11-06-05, 08:21 PM   #5
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

just done a full oil and oil filter change too- i KNOW IT AINT HARD- BUT ITS NICE DOIN IT YERSELF WEN U R A NUMPTY ..

I will try the zip tie around the lever - now I am in me dressing gown !! great ! ha ha

pads- ??.>> dunno- just ones that the dealer said were standard and will fit- they were only 16quid (rear) so wont be anyhting ace- but they stop the bike !!...

wots a speed bleeder? I just used some pipe i have- aint clear though and is a little small- went to local fish shop and he gave me some pipe - but it is wayyy too small !! so need to look for some more--

TBH - both brakes front and Back still feel a bit "spongy" - I thought it wud only need a toucjh on the pedal/lever and brakes wud be on- but seem a bit squishy - maybe it is me- or? wot could it be>
Old 11-06-05, 08:25 PM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I got bleed kit from Halfords, some tubing with ballvalves on the end so that the air doesnt get sucked back up the tube, really useful

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-05, 10:26 PM   #7
wheelnut

The old fashioned way of bleeding brakes was to use a clear jar with some fluid in it, a rubber pipe from the bleed nipple to the jar immersed in the fluid and a ring spanner, squeeze the lever and slacken the nipple, retighten it before releasing the brake and repeat. with a car you had to do it 4 times and use 2 people. making sure you never let the master cylinder get low of fluid.

The tiewrap on the lever is an additional method on a bike, it allows any bubbles in the system to rise to the top of the master cylinder overnight
Old 11-06-05, 11:54 PM   #8
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

aha fizz- thats wot my neighbour wa son about- non return valves or summat..i will go see tomozz

incidentally I went down to the shed at midnight in my D gown and got some zip ties and done the brake shting- so we will see tommorrow- Buxton tommorrow- so will call in a halfords.
Old 11-06-05, 11:56 PM   #9
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

wheel- thats how i did it..thats how the book says do it!!..just pump the lever until no bubbles in the resevoir andthen do the thing as u described.
Old 11-06-05, 11:57 PM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

If you get kit for cars with dual circuit brakes you can do both calipers at the same time as it has two sets of tubes, its only a fiver I think...

Yep non return valves they are called

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote