SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-03-13, 09:52 AM   #1
agy

Default tablet computers

I could REALLY use one for uni but can't afford the real deal. I've seen some for £80 (can't remember what brands). Are they any good?
Old 16-03-13, 09:55 AM   #2
Elliott

Default Re: tablet computers

If its word processing etc id say no, decent tablets start around 150

However the blackberry playbook can be picked up very very cheap and is pretty good
Old 16-03-13, 09:58 AM   #3
agy

I will be wanting to do word processing and use the internet
Old 16-03-13, 10:32 AM   #4
hardhat_harry

Nexus 7 for a tablet, they are £150 and is by far and away the best of the bunch but word processing on a tablet? Are you sure?
Old 16-03-13, 10:47 AM   #5
tigersaw
Mega Poster

I have ipad, andriod and a couple of playbooks.
Ipad is the daddy, everything is fluid and intuitive. Andriod is great and you can get an app to do almost anything, though that app will probably eat your bandwidth with adverts and not co-exist with something else. The playbooks are just tools. They are well made, high spec but there are no apps. I have one still in the box, other is blue tacked to the kitchen wall, I use it for the weather, bbc news at breakfast time and picture frame.
Android tablet with a bluetooth keyboard, docs to go app might get you going with word processing if you really want to go that route.

Last edited by tigersaw; 16-03-13 at 10:49 AM.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-13, 11:29 AM   #6
agy

I wouldn't use it as my main word processing tool but sometimes I may be in the library and need to finish up some work, do a bit of research etc. I don't need any apps as I have my iPhone. The phone is annoyingly small if you need to research. £150 is quite a bit out of my price range..
Old 16-03-13, 11:38 AM   #7
otaylor38

My mate bought an £70 android one off ebay. As you'd expect, it's built really cheaply, the boarder around the screen seems big, and the screen it's self isn't anywhere near as responsive or high res as the market leaders. His has crashed and refused to turn back on twice now, although both times the company he bought it off gave him a new one straight away, without quibble.

I guess you just get what you pay for really, if your willing to buy cheap, don't expect a half decent product.

Got a laptop? I think I'd just carry that around like we all used to, or save for abit and stretch to the nexus. They're supposed to be pretty good.
Old 16-03-13, 11:47 AM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

I have the earlier model of one of these, works fine, browser is a bit slow, but it does what I need it to do.

http://www.ebuyer.com/407319-sumvisi...let-pc-cycvoy7

However doesn't have bluetooth & I haven't managed to get a USB keyboard to work with it.

But this one does and is in your price range, its got bluetooth, so should work with a bluetooth keyboard?

Buyer reviews are positive too

http://www.ebuyer.com/452365-acer-ic...c-nt-l15ek-001
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-13, 12:21 PM   #9
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by agy View Post
I could REALLY use one for uni but can't afford the real deal. I've seen some for £80 (can't remember what brands). Are they any good?
Tablets range from £50 up to £500 and beyond. If i were you, i'd go to a PC world or something similar to see different tablets, how they work, if you like it etc etc. Seeing as you have an Iphone, you may be better off with an Ipad for the ease of transferring data and using the cloud. You should be able to get an Ipad 2 relatively cheap, or a refurbished one.
Ideally you want the processor to be more than 1.2GHz and 2GB Ram.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-13, 01:17 PM   #10
timwilky
Mega Poster

I have 400 quid Asus transformer, great for what I want as it has a battery life of 10 hours proper use and 128GB of storage etc.

Biggest problem with tablets is they are useless for real world work, word processing, spreadsheets etc. Great for browsing the internet. OK people go on about using the cloud. but in my experience public access internet at a reasonable speed is non existent.

I would say grab a laptop, a cheap one is going to cost about £200 and should meet you needs. A 200 quid tablet will not.