SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-02-05, 06:38 AM   #1
sharriso74

Default Bike Safe

Did the Bike Safe on Wednesday this week in Kent and what can I say. The best 30 quid I've spent on my bike ever.

The theory was pretty basic but made you reaxime thing you know but chose not to use and the rides where very educational. Good ratio0 of 2 people per police rider. The afternoon run was particulary intresting the took us round the most potholed mud covered country lanes in Kent, at least I think it's mud that's plastered over my bike!!! Almost dropped it once but managed to get away with it.

If anyone is thinking about doing one do it !!!!!
Old 11-02-05, 07:58 AM   #2
Mogs

I totally agree, I did the one run by SW Police last year. There does however seem to be a huge difference between Police Forces in the duration of the courses. The one I did was two days 9-5 over a weekend. Its about time the government funded this properly.
Old 11-02-05, 09:58 AM   #3
BillyC
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharriso74
Did the Bike Safe on Wednesday this week in Kent and what can I say. The best 30 quid I've spent on my bike ever.
I did the Kent Bikesafe last year, and agree that it is an extremely effective and important experience. It changed my riding style over night!

It was free then though, and based over one road-ride day and a discussion evening beforehand. Unfortunately it was based in the backside of nowhere just outside Dover - are they still doing it from that bike place just off the A2?

I was also lucky that I managed to get one of the few gloriously sunny spring days.
Old 11-02-05, 10:00 AM   #4
Aurora

I might well be interested in doing a Bike Safe course. Live reasonably close to Dover (about 45 mins). Anyone got the contact details.

Ta
Old 11-02-05, 10:04 AM   #5
timwilky
Mega Poster

Lucky you.

My local plod will not do bike safe. I have talked with a couple of their bike cops and they put it down to

We are not instructors
We are not insured should you sue us because you feck up following our instructions etc.
We haven't got sufficient resources (People time) etc.

After their official lines they have given me the name of one of their colleagues who is trying to rectify this short sighted view of things.
Old 11-02-05, 10:11 AM   #6
mrbizzy

Im doing one on the 20th and really looking forward to it. We're kicking off at the Ace Cafe.

A question for those who've already done it - i presume it would be a good idea to stick the original end can back on?
Old 11-02-05, 10:42 AM   #7
Mogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora
I might well be interested in doing a Bike Safe course. Live reasonably close to Dover (about 45 mins). Anyone got the contact details.
Try Here

http://www.bikesafe.co.uk
Old 11-02-05, 11:49 AM   #8
sharriso74

The Kent one is being run out of The Warren in Keston so lots of lovely country roads and not a bad lunch either
Old 11-02-05, 11:51 AM   #9
Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora
Try Here

http://www.bikesafe.co.uk

Thanks Kevin

I've completed the application/enquiry
Old 11-02-05, 01:09 PM   #10
Nick762

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharriso74
The Kent one is being run out of The Warren in Keston so lots of lovely country roads and not a bad lunch either
Aha! that explains it, you did the Met police one which they do charge for. I gather depending on where you live it you either go to the Warren (Met police sports and social club just outside West Wickham) or the Ace Cafe. The Kent one which I believe is still free is run at a selection of locations throughout the county, I did the same one as BillyC which was at the bike shop on the A2 between Canterbury and Dover. A good day out and reaally lucky with the weather!