SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-07-09, 12:49 PM   #1
3MM

Default Electrical problem, any ideas?

Had the SV a while with no problems, used regularly for work etc etc until the morning of my planned trip away with a few others, just wondered if anybody had any ideas..

Washed the bike and topped the oil up, started it twice and put it away all packed and ready to go everything working!

Jumped on the next morning turned the key, no dials, indicators or horn were working, headlights and main beam were fine and it started fine, rode it to meet the others and changed the fuse that had blown, 15amp fuse for the indicators etc and everything was fine, had breakfast and it started again and everything was fine no fuses instantly blowing or the like.

Rode two hours to just before swindon, stopped for coffee and came out and it had blown the fuse again but this time it wouldnt start. Changed the fuse again but still wouldnt start so traced all of the wires back from the iginition to find a break but no luck, also checked for a spark and there was no spark.

The RAC guy had a good look over it and didnt seem any the wiser, he didnt seem to think the fuse blowing was related, he said something to do with the pulsing or the electrics (have to look at his notes for that) or the little black box of tricks in the tail, is it the ECU?

Anyway dropped it back to the mechanic late friday night and we both stripped the bike still with no luck although he thinks it could be a dodgy wire and that both things are related, does anyone else have any ideas/comments?

Many thanks!

Dan
Old 09-07-09, 01:07 PM   #2
flymo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electrical problem, any ideas?

I would say that the experience you are having and fuses blowing are totally related. Fuses blow for a reason.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 08:44 AM   #3
3MM

Yeh I couldnt see how they could be unrelated but who knows!
Old 10-07-09, 08:56 AM   #4
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MM View Post
Yeh I couldnt see how they could be unrelated but who knows!
Basic troubleshooting approach, simplify the problem and elliminate things that it cant be. First thing I would suggest is to find out why the fuse is blowing, get yourself a copy of the wiring diagram for your bike and trace everything related to the circuit covered by the blowing fuse.

Look for chaffed wires, poor or corroded connections, faulty components etc. If by some amazing conincidence the other problem still exists then you can discount the fused circuit.

The dodgy circuit though has to be number 1 suspect initially.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote