SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2009 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2009 SV650.org's annual rideout

Old 18-05-09, 11:32 AM   #81
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: AR Marking Discussion

Bear, +1. I don't see the need for "qualified" markers, just riders who are confident and considerate, and give a cheery wave as we blast by (poodle by?)

IMO, everyone who marked last year were fantastic
Old 18-05-09, 07:39 PM   #82
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
I like being a marker. I have done it before and have the confidence and experience to position myself so that I can be clearly seen to all the following bikes. I also enjoy progressing back to the front as usually a rideout pace may be slower than I prefer to travel. I may inadvertendly buzz someone or been perceived to do so. We are not all perfect riders all of the time. You cannot vet all the riders on a rideout whether they be markers or not. I have had bikes I'm passing pull out in front of me without looking or indicating. **** happens. At the end of the day we are all mates together as far as I'm concerned.

I do get a buzz from doing marking but also feel I'm helping, in a very small way, towards the smooth running of everybodies day.
+1
Old 18-05-09, 11:27 PM   #83
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

well. I have read this with interest. dont want to preach to the converted- most contributors tothis thread are experienced and know orgers..

I am concerned though that it might put off new folk from coming to an AR ... so I throw me 2 p in.. it is scary your first AR sometimes your first ever group ride,and it does make you feel a "proper biker" bein on a biking break in a big group, all the more reason to have established systems in place and not random markers.

I DO NOT want to mark ta.. I aint "workin" on my weekend off.. (oh I dont work anyway but thats beside the point)

to me I always assume- and me been on 4 AR's now.. that the usual suspects will mark junctions.. that being local knowledge folk and then Sid, Spidey, bear , jambo, Raf, Grinch etc etc.. not because they are better than anyone else although allhighly competent I might add.. but because they are indeed fluid, organised and ride together all the time and know each others moves and styles.. it does tak some competence and indeed confidence to get back to the front and "make progress" whilst not appearing to "hoon" and look like you having fun or indeed buzz a less experienced rider on a first AR and put them off forever.

NOW, although these guys are crazyand zany and up for a larrrf.. they are totally serious where and when needed and mature and responsible when Marking.. As we are now in their Manor... I am assuming it will be the usual guy who mark. and I for one am happy with that because it dos givemea "safe" and warm feeling seeing the high vis vests sweep past me and mark the junctions and knowing that they WILL get back to the front so there is always a high vis at a corner..

As competent a rider as I am.. I would not want to force myself upon them (well maybe on bear hmm mmm ) demanding to be a marker because I need to Willy Wave because I believe it would be detrimental and upset the balance.. these guys do the job and do it well..
wait n see if you not been before- we all gassing faggin laughing before hanf but somehwere you will see the high vis in a gropu with Sid or similar briefing them .. we enjoy they prepare.. then we split into smaller groups of 5 or ten with one marker to give us a more intimate brief and ensure ALL understand the system before we set off -

It works.. it always has.. why change it.. I fully appreciate the responsibility in being a Marker and to me that far outweighs the "perceived prestige" ... for me it would detract from my day to have that reponsibility and so I abdicate responsibilty to those who are better at it than me.. maybe with Maturity (ok old age) one can begin to be a little more humble and accept that some things others are better at..

Howoften have you been on a rideout and a couple of fools have turned up that you knwo you dont like riding with or indeed some folks you have never ridden with so you decide hmmm not today ... well these markers need to ride with folks they know and trust and have faith in.. I tell you now, I am not slow.. but I am amazed when I see spidey or bear or a n other marking a junction then within 3 mins I see then inmy mirror move over and they pas me- safely- and mark another junction - they are competent and safe. and thats what you need.. what we dont need are in pack none markers hoonin all over NOT in high vis - sense and sensibility willmake for a great day ... A fire sat night a beer or ten - stories and tales and evetyone safe with all bikes undamaged that is what makes a good AR ... The Freedom and the friends. ..(with the odd naked Grinch thrown in)

Ride safe, ride strong you high vis protectors of my safety and progress for you are the epitomy of southern shandy drinkers .. xx

apologies if that upsets anyone , but thats how I see it .. and to me at the end of the day its Messie and others who have organised it and I feel it is so eay to chip in with I want that we want this, the markers are integral.. we are a hell of a lot of bikes getting a hell of a lot of attention public and police .. so to appear structured is a due dilligence that in my opinion needs a team that is planned etc as above and not a finger in the air scenario .....

and anyone who feel sthey are gettin "buzzed" maybe look in the emirror- literally. I would hazard a guess you didnt even know the marker was appraching cos you didnt check your mirror- you know these guys are coming its inevitable.. so be aware.. see them let them know you seen them and move over left just an inch and they know they can pass you ... and they pass you at speed of course- but safe and wide where possible.. andalso.. look forward if you see them coming anticipate ahead.. do you see the pack closing up.. do you need to leave a gap so you dont hang them out to dry.. I actually get an enjoyment from watching the markers cut through the pack and achieve progress that I could only dream of.. but I appreciate the skill and judgement. not condone the action , as it is , in this case a neccessary action on the day.

that is all.

Last edited by Quiff Wichard; 18-05-09 at 11:56 PM.
Quiff Wichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-09, 11:27 PM   #84
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

oops.. that went on a bit- soz.

nutshell..

Take all the best players from all the premiership teamsand make a team off 11 up..

would be crap!!.. for a season til they gelled and knew each other.. then ace!.. best team ever..

same with bikes and markers.. individually we all good.. but we aint got time to learn each others styles and traits and foibles. these guys already know each other. and are proven.

Last edited by Quiff Wichard; 18-05-09 at 11:36 PM.
Quiff Wichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-09, 03:54 PM   #85
Alpinestarhero

quiff

+1 on all you said. I was talking with rictus earlier about marking etc, it seems soho have alot of experiance. I was really impressed with how they worked last year
Old 19-05-09, 04:05 PM   #86
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiff Wichard View Post
oops.. that went on a bit- soz.
No worries mate, good, if rambling, post none the less.

I really want this thread to be a place where people can share their honest opinions about the markng system.Be it for or against the current system or if they have any ideas on making it better.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-09, 04:50 PM   #87
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Like Pete, I enjoy it when we are asked to be a marker. It's nice to feel you are giving something back for all the fun you get, plus it's a chance for me to have a quick fag!

I do think though, that with a rideout the size of the one for the AR, especially with new riders along who may not recognise anyone else or their bikes, that designated markers wearing bibs is the most practical way to go. Whether this is a group of people who ride together regularly or not maybe isn't important, as long as anyone taking on the responsibility fully understands what is expected of them.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-09, 09:18 PM   #88
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
No worries mate, good, if rambling, post none the less.

I really want this thread to be a place where people can share their honest opinions about the markng system.Be it for or against the current system or if they have any ideas on making it better.

midnight 30 alcohol induced ramblings and typos..
Old 19-05-09, 09:19 PM   #89
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
Like Pete, I enjoy it when we are asked to be a marker. It's nice to feel you are giving something back for all the fun you get, plus it's a chance for me to have a quick fag!

I do think though, that with a rideout the size of the one for the AR, especially with new riders along who may not recognise anyone else or their bikes, that designated markers wearing bibs is the most practical way to go. Whether this is a group of people who ride together regularly or not maybe isn't important, as long as anyone taking on the responsibility fully understands what is expected of them.

THAT's what I meant to say xx
Old 20-05-09, 10:04 AM   #90
Holdup

I would defo need to stick with some one as i would be hopeless