SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-05-08, 01:18 PM   #1
Jasonr

Default Anyone done any Advanced Training ?

me

Passed my IAM test 5 odd years ago currently a member of a local motorcycle group who provide training to pass IAM/Rospa test and will also take your training that level

Also done a days training with gary baldwin ? Rapid Training courtesy of Ride magazine!
Old 09-05-08, 01:22 PM   #2
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Default Re: Anyone done any Advanced Training ?

yup, iam
so what's the deal with your motorcycle group? I know IAM groups train you for IAM, not really investigated Rospa, but sure it's just as good.
What are your charges & what's the quality of the trainers/observers.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 01:29 PM   #3
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Yep, done IAM and currently an IAM observer. My group put the observers through rapid training every couple of years. Apparently they (Rapid) are VERY good but quite expensive. Not been an observer long enough to get my free Rapid day yet though.

Be interested to hear the difference in approach/experience between ROSPA and IAM. Also you'll get a load of folks saying it's all common sense and a waste of time but I got a hell of a lot out of it and am now in the process of trying to put something back into my club by helping other riders.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 01:49 PM   #4
Jasonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
yup, iam
so what's the deal with your motorcycle group? I know IAM groups train you for IAM, not really investigated Rospa, but sure it's just as good.
What are your charges & what's the quality of the trainers/observers.
My club EAMG (in essex) was an IAM club but due to some disagreement they are now independent. I took my test in the days they were IAM but due to not paying IAM my subs each year (as I had a 4.5 yr break from riding) I lost my qualification despite it being a qualification for life !! I too am not that familiar with Rospa but would like to have my riding assessed every so often anyway eamg Observers consist mostly of Ropspa Gold / Ex Class I riders they will train you to pass the test and beyond fees are for an associate £50 then about £5 each sesssion to cover petrol observed rides last 2-4 hours and you have all the training you need to pass your test they then run full member training and other stuff and will also train you to become observers etc obviously

I think they are really good as there are some real class riders there having said that I am not a member of other groups as it could get silly price wise so cannot comment on their ability against others

And rapid training are very good we have them over at EAMG for talks most years most of the guys are ex class I and gary baldwin is an ex production racer so really does know his stuff
Old 09-05-08, 01:53 PM   #5
Jasonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post

Be interested to hear the difference in approach/experience between ROSPA and IAM. Also you'll get a load of folks saying it's all common sense and a waste of time but I got a hell of a lot out of it and am now in the process of trying to put something back into my club by helping other riders.
Yes it is common sense but sense that only becomes common once you are told about it. That moment when you think yeah I know that but never actually thought about it consciously if you get my drift.......

Good on ya for helping others and putting something back I always find the more you put into something the more you get out of it anyway and biking is same
Old 09-05-08, 01:57 PM   #6
Alpinestarhero

I'm not really bothered about doing an IaM test of sorts, but it would be great to ride with IaM trained folk. Are there any groups in the brighton / east sussex area?

Matt
Old 09-05-08, 02:46 PM   #7
kitkat

i was a qualified observer with IAM but have dropped away from it. Looked into Rospa but there were a lot of mechanical bits included and I really wasnt interested in that. I like to ride for fun, if it breaks Ill get someone else to fix it - eventually
Old 09-05-08, 03:07 PM   #8
ArtyLady

Jason,

Ive been attending EAMG on and off since 2003, fair bit of training but probably wont take the test (dont like tests!) I just like to keep my riding up to scratch. I only went once last year (oopss!) must try and get along to a few AGT's this year.
Old 09-05-08, 03:13 PM   #9
Jasonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
I'm not really bothered about doing an IaM test of sorts, but it would be great to ride with IaM trained folk. Are there any groups in the brighton / east sussex area?

Matt
have a look www.iam.org.uk
Old 09-05-08, 03:16 PM   #10
AndyW

Currently doing my IAM "ride for life!" course (test June 2nd), and although you don't learn anything really new, it does make you think about how you ride and improves your riding skills dramatically. At least it has for me, money well spent.