SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Ancillaries Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on various other bits and bobs, such as rearsets, oil, engine bits.

Old 22-06-08, 03:25 PM   #1
chasey

Default Muc-off

Had my first experience of this stuff today, being using another product called 'pro clean' but ran out and was down at Halfords so I picked up some of this.

I think it did quite a poor job on the SV especially when compared to the other product that I have used. Cleaned the cleaner bits up nice but it seemed to pose a challenege for the harder stuff.

Anyone else had good/bad experiences of it?
Old 22-06-08, 03:44 PM   #2
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Default Re: Muc-off

I bought 3 for 2 at halfords, investing £14 in the stuff.
Its totally useless, I'm thoroughly unimpressed. It will not shift oily stuff at all.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-08, 05:12 PM   #3
StreetHawk

Glad it's not just me then! Tried it on my wheels, did naff all..
Old 22-06-08, 05:24 PM   #4
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Though I will keep the spray guns and put some proper solvent in them.
(traffic film remover from motor factors, cheap and brilliant)
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-08, 11:22 PM   #5
xXBADGERXx

Traffic Film Remover isn`t recommended for Aluminium that has a polished or bare finish so anyone with polished parts may have to keep that in mind .

My "find of the Century" though ....... Fenwicks FS1 Bike Cleaner , this stuff is the dog`s danglies when it comes to cleaning gunk and road mess off the SV . I ordered some for my mountain bike years ago and it gets that clean in mere minutes . You order a litre for a tenner and dilute it down to 10 litres . Been using it on my SV once a week and the rear wheel is agitated with a brush and rinsed with cold water , can do the whole bike in 5 minutes flat .

The Blurb on it :

The superior cleaning solution for bikes.

Loved by bike mechanics up and down the country, Fenwick's FS-1 is a superb 2 in 1 bike degreaser and cleaner that offers unbeatable performance and value for money. It is produced using only the most biodegradable, environmentally friendly raw materials available. For use as a bike degreaser: in its concentrated form, FS-1 can be applied straight onto the drivetrain, agitated after a minute or two, and washed off with a hose pipe – no need for a jet wash and the results are sparkling. For use as a bike cleaner: FS-1 can be diluted with 10 parts water, providing an extremely effective, deep cleansing action for the whole bike. It then washes off with ease and leaves a superior, residue-free finish. FS-1 contains no aggressive ingredients and therefore, can be used every day without causing any damage to the finish of your frame or components. It is safe for use on: hubs, headsets, pivot points, disc brakes, rims, shock units, aluminium, steel, carbon fibre, composites, plastics, decals and rubber.
  • Actively attracts dirt, providing an extremely effective deep cleansing action and brightening frame materials for a superior finish.
  • No need for a jet wash - fs1 rinses easily with water and it does not leave a residue behind.
  • Unlike other bike washes, the concentrate formula also works as a very powerful degreaser but does not dissolve grease like a solvent. This makes it ideal for use on hubs, headsets and pivot points, as well as disc brakes, rims, shock units, aluminium, steel, carbon fibre, composites, plastics, decals, and rubber.
Got mine from here http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetai...Litre%20Bottle
Old 23-06-08, 07:27 AM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

Parafin. ?1 a litre, does the job on the metal bits
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-08, 09:10 AM   #7
Dave The Rave

I use Muck off and to be quite honest I like it. So does my Hairnet!
Old 23-06-08, 09:29 AM   #8
chasey

My Dad just poked his head round the door (we both have the day off work as my sister is back from Oz today for 4 weeks) and to quote him "that stuff is absolute crap". It is taking paint of the wheels on the R1 .

Dave - Do you just spray on rinse off or..? Maybe you have a method we are not aware of!!!
Old 23-06-08, 10:04 AM   #9
Dave The Rave

Wet the bike with a water, so it is soking wet. Spray Muck off all over the bike concentrating all all really mucky bits (swingarm, engine etc) and have 5 minutes "brew" brake.

Grab a set of brushes and I go around the bike from top to bottom (5 minutes max). Use tooth brush on calipers, chain etc. Spray with clean water to rinse properly.

Leave it to dry and use some Bike shine or so to polish. Painless. But I will use parafin on really dirty metal parts, chain etc. But I am a bit anal about my bike as it gets polished often

But since you guys are all saying it is cack than I think I may try something different just to compare. You never know. I may be slagging it off next time
Old 23-06-08, 10:48 AM   #10
2mths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
Parafin. ?1 a litre, does the job on the metal bits
Just don't let it near plastics, unless you want them to go a nice whiteish off colour.