SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-01-09, 05:34 PM   #31
thefallenangel

Default Re: Why do my lights get brighter when I rev the engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
Sorry this is complete cobblers.

and at a guess here's why.

Current is actually a flow rate. Nothing more. Think about tidal currents etc. There's a reason they share the same descriptive name. With a tidal current, you have the same volume of water, moving at a different vector (direction and/or speed). - Current is the thing that moves, it is pushed by voltage through a resistance so can't be the same volume.

When the engine rev's higher, the alternator puts out a higher voltage, at a higher flow (current).Correct providing the resistance stays the same

The regulator then ensures that this increased voltage is reduced to 12v (approx). The current generally isn't reduced by the regulator. Incorrect if voltage comes down either resistance or current needs to drop and the heat loss mean energy is being dropped which is current.

By upgrading bulbs (eg, Osram Nightbreakers as stated), the bulbs are designed to glow brighter. This is accomplished by drawing more current due to lowered resistance in the coil. If the alternator isn't putting out maximum current (for the bulbs) they will be dimmer than they can potentially be. When the current raises (by revving the engine), naturally the bulbs get brighter. Not sure on the bulbs but revving the engine shouldn't make the bulbs get brighter because of what i said about the reg/rec.

In my case, when I honk the horn, some of that flow (current) is diverted away from the bulbs to the horns. Thus making my bulbs dim. I also have uprated bulbs FWIW. Not sure but sounds a bit wrong

Further to this, my bulbs get brighter when I rev the engine (I'm talking only the first few thousand RPM, then it's constant). I have tested the rectifier, and alternator. Both are fine the last time I tested them (after approx a year running with this setup). Could be right not sure

Sorry if i'm wrong but it's what i've been told. Simple thing to note is Voltage= Current x resistance, if your stepping the voltage down the only way to do it is to lose energy which is normally current or whack a big resistor in there.

Simplest thing i can think of is why don't Power cables fry because of the heat from huge voltages? Is because the resisitance is stupidly high too. So if a reg is breaking down it takes a battery with it because of the extra current going to the battery and thus over-charging it. Where's batteryman he should definetly know.

Edit - Balls beaten to it

Last edited by thefallenangel; 06-01-09 at 05:36 PM. Reason: beaten to it
Old 06-01-09, 05:39 PM   #32
xXBADGERXx

Yeah ....................... not one of you explained why my Ducati Stamped Rectifier smelt of fish though , right bunch of Proffessors you lot are <------------runs for the door
Old 06-01-09, 05:44 PM   #33
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallenangel View Post
Not sure on the bulbs but revving the engine shouldn't make the bulbs get brighter because of what i said about the reg/rec.
Check embee's nice little post and graph below. The regulator won't have much effect until the alternator output gets high enough to need it - which happens when you rev the engine.
Old 06-01-09, 05:46 PM   #34
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBADGERXx View Post
Yeah ....................... not one of you explained why my Ducati Stamped Rectifier smelt of fish though , right bunch of Proffessors you lot are <------------runs for the door
I think you'll need an italian to answer this one
Old 06-01-09, 05:52 PM   #35
thefallenangel

Quote:
I think you'll need an italian to answer this one

burnt out is your answer, mamma left the'a cooker on too long. It wasn't really her dolmio day.
Old 06-01-09, 06:11 PM   #36
thor

Well the battery is 4 years old, never been messed with. Perhaps it is showing the first stages or tiredness...

It is kind of funny. Especially with the loud can it's like the bike is growling!
Old 06-01-09, 07:46 PM   #37
ophic
Mega Poster

Well my K3 does the same, with the headlights/revs and the tail lights/indicators. Every car I've ever had has also brightened the lights on revving the engine. Unless its a huge difference in brightness, its probably fine.

The battery is primarily there to start the engine. If it manages that, I'd say its fine.
Old 06-01-09, 11:06 PM   #38
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Unless its a huge difference in brightness, its probably fine.
The battery is primarily there to start the engine. If it manages that, I'd say its fine.
What he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBADGERXx View Post
It's because of the organic oil based insulation that Italian electrics makers tend to use, it does have a rather fishy smell, in the case of CEV ignitors very often there can be a distinct whiff of haddock in mustard sauce.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-09, 12:14 AM   #39
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Re. the "when you rev the engine" comments... last time I checked, I seem to remember my alternator putting out around 40VAC (open circuit) at tickover. So, the regulator is always in action and needing to do it's stuff.
Old 08-01-09, 01:54 AM   #40
hob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe View Post
It's MAGIC