SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-09-08, 01:36 PM   #1
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Soldier Refused a room

So what do you think of this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7596798.stm

If it was a different scenario i.e because of creed or colour we'd be up in arms wouldnt we...

I think its p*ss poor.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 01:41 PM   #2
Sean_C

Default Re: Soldier Refused a room

Shocking, I wonder if it was actually a "mistake" and that wasn't thier policy, or if they're saying they made a mistake with that policy.. Terrible, either way.
Old 05-09-08, 01:44 PM   #3
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by the site
He spent the night in his car after being told it was management policy not to accept military personnel.
People tend to forget, but any company anywhere, can reserve the right not to offer it's products/services to any person (or group thereof) for any reason. They don't even have to provide a reason legally.

If that's the blanket policy in use, fair enough. Just the same as many many hotels I've come across that don't allow children to sleep there.

For all we know, the hotel may of had issues in the past with regards noise/property damage etc, and rightly or wrongly, attributed these previous problems to military personnel. But then, I'm just guessing.

The truth is, no-one except those directly involved know the reasons for the hotel having that policy.
Old 05-09-08, 01:45 PM   #4
neio79

i think they could well be in a bit of trouble now!!

Disgusting is the only way to sum it up. Hey hopefully the bad press will do them some harm as just deserts.
Old 05-09-08, 01:49 PM   #5
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by neio79 View Post
i think they could well be in a bit of trouble now!!
Right up until they admitted they made a "mistake" then bad press is all they would of got from it.

As eluded to above, no-one really knows exactly what that mistake was:
1) It wasn't their policy at all, and the member of staff merely told the guy that.
2) It was a mistake having the policy to exclude military personell.
3) It was a mistake in applying that policy so rigidly.

As they admitted to making a "mistake" then should the person involved want to persue it, they can - but I wouldn't expect much TBH.

He apparently spent the night in his car, however, there's another 5 hotels within a mile of the Metro. Probably quite a few B&B's too. It appears on face value that he chose to sleep in his car, rather than being forced to do so.
Old 05-09-08, 02:03 PM   #6
Biker_Billy

This was on the GixerJunkies forum yesterday...

...some of the folk on there have taken it upon themselves to contact the hotel direct to voice their concern!
Old 05-09-08, 02:17 PM   #7
thinone

Our Policy at our hotel is to welcome EVERYONE who can PAY
Old 05-09-08, 02:33 PM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker_Billy View Post
This was on the GixerJunkies forum yesterday...

...some of the folk on there have taken it upon themselves to contact the hotel direct to voice their concern!
Pathetic! People need to get a life.

Lets face it, if it was a normal person, as in someone who doesn't want to make a song and dance about it, got rufused, they would go somewhere else.

I dont really see this as news.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 02:39 PM   #9
ThEGr33k

The Armed Forces get no respect from any angle to be honest. Even our employers, the people who send us (mainly the Army...) out into the war place doesnt even treat us that great. beyond a joke that this has happened as well to be honest.
Old 05-09-08, 02:43 PM   #10
neio79

I think you wil find people find it a bit wrong as it is a specific descrimination, based soley on his job. Not t odisimilar from being fefused if he had been black.

There are a lot of small minded cretins out there who assume that because us in the forces wear the uniform we fully support the whims of the government we serve. They dont stop to think that we have no choice but to go and do as directed.