SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-10-11, 02:51 PM   #1
Nicky S
Mega Poster

Default curvy electrical problem

Hey all

My curvy has a starting problem. When u push the switch nothing happens. No noise of the start motor or of the relay.

But everything elsa works fine.

Ill tell you what iv done. My fan never seems to come on so i bypassed the fan switch by unplugging the connector and Just pushing a bit of wire into the loom end. Turn the ignition on and the fan bursts into life.

Nice one so i need a new fan switch

Whilst the ignition was on and the fan was running (bypassed) i tryed to start the bike. No idea why but i did. Had one clonk then nothing. Turned it all off. pluged the fan switch back in and looked at all the fuses.

They are all ok even looked at the starter relay one all fine. Turn the ignition back on and go to start the bike nothing at all. It is as if your trying to start the bike when it is off.

Side stand and clutch switch are fine. But im not even getting a clicking noise from the relay.

So iv taken my battery out and stuck it on trickle charge to see if that helps. As i did have the bike running on tic over for 20 mins to see if the fan would come on.

Im hopeing its just a flat battery. What do the org think ??

Cheers

Nicky S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-11, 02:58 PM   #2
beabert

Default Re: curvy electrical problem

100% positive all fuses are ok? did you take them out and look at them? I thought id checked mine successfully once by looking from the tops, hours of messing later i came to the conclusion it had to be a fuse, and on second check it bloody was lol.

Do you have a multimeter?
Old 01-10-11, 03:07 PM   #3
Nicky S
Mega Poster

I have looked at all the fuses but ill check again cant hurt to look twice.

I do have a multimeter

Old 01-10-11, 03:24 PM   #4
warmshed

Had a quick look at the diagram, power comes from the engine stop (kill) switch through the starter button, then onto the clutch switch then down to the start relay.

Check to see if you have power at the kill switch, if you have obviously check that it gets to the start button, (on orange/white),then to the clutch switch (yellow/green to the connector then yellow/black) and to the start relay (yellow/green)in turn.

Power to the kill switch comes from fuse 3, this fuse also powers the fan, you say this ran so it seems you have power there.

From the fuse it goes to side stand relay on the orange/yellow wire then on the orange/ black to the kill switch. check that it goes through the side stand relay contact and does get to the orange black. To check, if you suspect this part connect the orange yellow and orange black wires together at the relay.(make sure you are in neutral because you are bypassing the neutral relay)

If still problems, let me know what you have tested and Ill try to help.

Last edited by warmshed; 01-10-11 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-10-11, 03:31 PM   #5
Nicky S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmshed View Post
Had a quick look at the diagram, power comes from the engine stop (kill) switch through the starter button, then onto the clutch switch then down to the start relay.

Check to see if you have power at the kill switch, if you have obviously check that it gets to the start button, (on orange/white),then to the clutch switch (yellow/green to the connector then yellow/black) and to the start relay (yellow/green)in turn.

Power to the kill switch comes from fuse 3, this fuse also powers the fan, you say this ran so it seems you have power there.

From the fuse it goes to side stand relay on the orange/yellow wire then on the orange/ black to the kill switch. check that it goes through the side stand relay contact and does get to the orange black. To check, if you suspect this part connect the orange yellow and orange black wires together at the relay.(make sure you are in neutral because you are bypassing the neutral relay)

If still problems, let me know what you have tested and Ill try to help.
Thats a lot of info thanks very much ill get on it later as iv gotta go out for dinner.

Old 01-10-11, 08:38 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

It will probably be something to do with the bit you were fiddling with just before it went wrong-----The fan wiring.I suspect the bit of wire you shoved in there has shorted something and blown a fuse.
Old 01-10-11, 08:49 PM   #7
Nicky S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
It will probably be something to do with the bit you were fiddling with just before it went wrong-----The fan wiring.I suspect the bit of wire you shoved in there has shorted something and blown a fuse.
I have put everything back as it was and checked all the fuses and they are fine.

Old 01-10-11, 10:07 PM   #8
Nicky S
Mega Poster

Im a **** ...

Just got back and thought id just have a fag and look at the bike. And just thought id push this together.

And boom bike works fine starts on first touch of the button.

But then i disconnected the cable above and the bike still works fine.

So no idea what was wrong with the bike.

Dose any one know what this cable is for ? It joins the N on the battery ????

Im such a **** lol sorry but cheers for the help