SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: Lifesaver Glance for cars....
Yes 27 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-07-03, 09:13 PM   #1
Dave Grant

Default Lifesaver

Who thinks that they should make it compulsory for car drivers to do lifesaver glances when doing manovers. We fail if we don't, so why shouldn't they, if more car drivers did this, less bikers would be having accidents!!!!
Old 28-07-03, 09:35 PM   #2
stevie69p

I was actually told by my car driving instructor not to do them as i had the habit from riding the bike before I did my car test. I just felt safer knowing that I wasn't just relying on mirrors with their blind spots.
Old 28-07-03, 10:25 PM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

Let’s face it, you’re lucky if they're awake, let alone aware of other traffic !

I'd be happy if they used the mirrors fitted to the vehicle in the first place.

Anyway if they were to look round it might make them spill there coffee in there laps/ smudge makeup/miss part of the phone call, etc.

The best you can do is fit the loudest can you can find , decent horns (not that Mickey Mouse affair that comes as standard) and work on the principle they're all out to get you .

It's worked for me for the last 23 years anyway (for the most part).

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-03, 02:16 AM   #4
Graham

People are taught to turn and look before changing lanes over here, If you didn't you would fail your licence. How the hell could It be any different there?
Old 29-07-03, 07:34 AM   #5
Chris

My wife believes that all car drivers should have to spend a day on a scooter or as apillion on a motorcycle. She has only been on the pillion a few times but said that it was an eye opening experience. she had no idea what the performance of a bike was really like before (and i took it easy as she was a virgin), and she saw firsthand how we are treated.
She is definatly more bike aware now

Chris
Old 29-07-03, 07:49 AM   #6
Amanda M

if the muppet that knocked me off my Sv had used his mirror or even turned his head slightly i wouldn't be £250 quid out of pocket... There is no such thing as a blind spot if you are looking properly.

Amanda
Old 29-07-03, 08:10 AM   #7
vtwin

As the mirrors are crap I rely on lifesavers totally.
Old 29-07-03, 08:15 AM   #8
Nekkid

Default How about....

Instead of trying to teach car drivers something new, why don't the car manufacturers fit blind-spot mirrors to all cars as standard?
Old 29-07-03, 08:48 AM   #9
Benji

I am not sure you would instantly fail if you didn't check your life saver, you will probably get minors leading to a major and thus failier but I can't say I checked my lifesaver at every single moment I should have on my test and I passed!

Cars do have to do a lifesaver, its just not called that, you do have to check over your shoulder in the blind spot when doing certain manourvers and in the same deal, if you don't you will get minors leading to a major and again, fail.

Benji
Old 29-07-03, 09:01 AM   #10
jonboy

Default Re: How about....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekkid
Instead of trying to teach car drivers something new, why don't the car manufacturers fit blind-spot mirrors to all cars as standard?
Call me cynical but don't car manufacturers earn a substantial portion of their profits from spare parts?