SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-02-07, 03:54 PM   #1
pete m

Default Cheeky ticket(parking ticket issue)

Up to recently - if you covered your reg no & tax disc up - they couldnt do anything, but the Soho Massive have had hassle even tho everyone always does this...

But i couldnt beleive it when i took the cover off my bike t'other day to find a ticket sticking to the inside of the cover ...i knew someone had had a look, assumed it was thieving scum, but my heart sank when i realised it was worse, the ultimate in pond life had lifted my (locked) cover and issued a parking ticket....

What to do ? he left the cover half off so any passer by couild get an eyeful of my pride and joy, he could have scrtached the bike (there is a padlock you need to be careful of) , its just NOT ON !

advice needed....
Old 28-02-07, 03:57 PM   #2
hovis

Default Re: Cheeky ticket

im a tad cofussed

were you illigaly parked?
Old 28-02-07, 03:57 PM   #3
Baph

Where was it parked & how long for? Any parking restrictions in effect?

Even if covered up, parking rules apply. The wardens that pass the Soho meet have been using their discretion, and I found it really odd that it was even allowed to be honest (esp with the hassle from the Indian restaurant)
Old 28-02-07, 04:06 PM   #4
hovis

if you are illigaly parked, you will get a ticket?

what makes you think that covering it makes you emune to a ticket?
Old 28-02-07, 04:09 PM   #5
pete m

yes - parked in the same place for 5 years - never been ticketed up to now when the cover was on....not in anyones way , but thtas got nothing to do with it ....do you think its fair dos for them to lift your cover up then ?
Old 28-02-07, 04:13 PM   #6
Mogs

I think its a loophole.

The traffic wardens are supposedly not allowed to remove anything, thus with the tax and plate are covered they do not know who to issue the ticket.
Old 28-02-07, 04:15 PM   #7
Mogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete m View Post
....do you think its fair dos for them to lift your cover up then ?
No Never.
Old 28-02-07, 04:17 PM   #8
Bluesteel

Just contest it:

- Say you have parked in the same position for 5 years and that they're parking enforcement should be consistent.
- It's not in anyone's way (as evidenced by photos).
- And that by lifting and partially removing your cover their parking attendent (who is probably new/ down on his weekly quota) is trespassing on your private property without consent and is therefore liable for any damage which could be said to have been caused.

I used to work for Foxtons the estate agents in London, and we used to contest tickets all the time. As long as you have even a slight reason you are likely to get the ticket voided.
Old 28-02-07, 04:23 PM   #9
Kate

Its down to the council, Westminster Council brought a change in place whereby traffic wardens could (and do) lift covers to issue tickets. Most other council areas are still safe in that only the police can lift covers etc to check the reg of the bike.

Hovi5 - its a common way to avoid a ticket, just cover up your number plate and tax disc and (until recently) the traffic warden cannot do anything as they weren't allowed to tamper with the bike to find the bike details.
Old 28-02-07, 04:26 PM   #10
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete m View Post
yes - parked in the same place for 5 years - never been ticketed up to now when the cover was on....not in anyones way , but thtas got nothing to do with it ....do you think its fair dos for them to lift your cover up then ?
how was it iligaly parked? double yellows?

IMO if you were parked iligally you deserve a ticket.

am i allowed to iligaly park my car........ then cover it up to avoid a ticket?