SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-07-07, 05:17 PM   #1
busasean

Default Scotland

just got back from 5 days away, drove from Hastings to the lake district on tuesday (Cockermouth), Next morning had a bimble round Keswick then drove up to near Fort William, stopped overnight then spent 2 nights in Dromnadrochit(?) what a brilliant place scotland is! excellent food and service, friendly people (who didnt call us "English *******s" or start speaking their own language to **** us off - guess where?) really impressed. got to find out what the green laning scene is like now and sort a few weekends out up there! if you havent been, go! (mind you plod traffic were in the services on the A74M doing people for not wearing seat belts - really helpfull considering the Glasgow airport incident)
Old 15-07-07, 06:06 PM   #2
skint

Default Re: Scotland

Went to Fort William when I did the 3 peaks challenge a few ah hem years back. Scenery is amazing we approached at 4.00am as dawn broke, incredible and quite imposing. Saw a couple of deer families, stag and all that (nice to see them live rather than their heads mounted on some saddos wall!) and I agree 100% with your comments about the people etc. To be fair though I haven't had any problems (personally) from the Celts in the west either and the Irish are great people. (Perhaps I should go into politics )

If you looking for scenery and good rides don't by pass the North East on the way to Scotland and you can miss some fabulous stuff in Northumberland.
Old 15-07-07, 06:09 PM   #3
RhythmJunkie

Glad you enjoyed it Sean. Bet you can't wait to go back?
We are off up Scotland in September for a week, wife takes car, luggage & 2 kids and I'm taking an SV650S.... ! Way up the north east a place called Dornoch!

It sounds like your first time north of the border. The roads around 12-15 years ago were superb but have been neglected and in the towns like Fort William are getting quite bad. I was surprised last September running the A87 between Invergarry and Shiel Bridge even that road is starting to suffer especially the fast sweeping lower reaches of the pass! They remain fairly good further north and the mighty A9 is always in good repair!
Lots of work has been done on the Bealach Na Ba pass too, so that road doesn't test your sussies out anymore!

You'll find that wonderful hospitality all over Scotland.
Were you on a Busa then Sean or a green lane type bike??
Old 15-07-07, 06:21 PM   #4
Wally

My wife and I are flying up to Scotland tomorrow morning. Woohoo

Hired a car, and we are driving around for a week. Cant wait!
Old 15-07-07, 08:51 PM   #5
busasean

we went in our ford ranger pick up truck because we had our dog with us. next year i'm going to do the Knockhill round of BSB and make a long weekend of it on the Busa. we go to Wales green laning but i quite fancy going to Scotland if there are any decent legal trails.
Old 15-07-07, 09:55 PM   #6
Tiger 55

Shush the lot of you! It's not bad enough the Essex Lounge were up here last week, now it's someone else blabbering about how great Scotland is! How long are we going tro keep these empty roads a secret if people are going to, you know, post?

And the A74 cops aren't checking for seat belts, they're checking for English *******s!
Old 15-07-07, 10:05 PM   #7
padmane

Default Ride Mag

Good to see us lot in Northern Ireland have some coverage in this months Ride magazine!!
Old 16-07-07, 06:08 AM   #8
kitkat

glad you had a good time. weather was not too bad either. as for coming up on the bike for bsb at knockhill, bring waterproofs it will rain
Old 16-07-07, 06:03 PM   #9
thumper21

Reading this post has got me even more excited, going away up to Glen Nevis on honeymoon a week on Saturday , have been all over scotland but never the west coast (strange seeing as I live in the south west of scotland!) Just hoping the weather improves but got water proofs if it doesnt.
Old 17-07-07, 06:43 AM   #10
RhythmJunkie

Never been to the west coast? R you in for a treat....scenery like oooooh wow look at the ooooohh ey up....awesome mate! Course if beautiful landscapes bore you you'll still have a great time burning rubber on those Nurburgring'esque roads!!