SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-02-05, 02:48 AM   #1
pridhac

Default Gear selection becoming difficult

I have a 2000 model SV650S with 60,000km on it.

Just recently the gear shift has developed some problems, for example the other day I was slowing down to turn into a car park with quite a big bump for a drive-way and I was therefore attempting to down-shift to first. No good, neutral it is.

Today on my way out of a round-about I had just shifted from 2nd to 3rd which felt as though it engaged OK, but no, 100m later it pops out of third into a false neutral.

What is causing this problem? Will a detent arm kit resolve this issue? Is the gearbox becoming 'worn'??

What is the most efficient likely fix folks??

Old 10-02-05, 07:42 AM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Try some simple things

Have you checked your chain adjustment, also other people have posted that if you overfill the oil it effects the gear change

I've had trouble with mine and when I checked the chain it was very slack, I adjusted it and it's been fine ever since

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-05, 11:27 AM   #3
Carsick

As fizz says, oil, chain, sprockets all need checking for overfilling/slack/wear.
Also, I've heard that clutch adjustment can affect it quite easily and the gear lever can need adjusting as well.
Old 10-02-05, 12:27 PM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

Clutch adjustment at the gearbox end first, then the cable adjustment.

Check behind the gearbox sprocket cover for gunge (chain lube etc), clean it out as necessary.

Check gear linkage, pedal pivot etc for free movement. The pedal pivot has been known to stiffen up due to corrosion. Free off with WD40 or similar.

Other things as has been said, chain adjustment, oil level etc.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-05, 09:35 PM   #5
Stig

and further to the pedal pivot remark. Also make sure it's not too loose. Mine was too loose a little while ago and I found that I couldn't select gears at all.
Old 13-02-05, 05:00 PM   #6
Tony_BLY

Tis true ...

I had problem getting into first on occasion, checked chain ... fine, checked clutch ... fine, checked oil ... overfilled, drained some out, problem solved (though I ended up with hot oil over my arm (Doh!)). Could tell straight away, gear changes feel much better all round. Thanks for info guys, as a question I won't have done any damage will I? Changed oil about 2500 miles ago so I have run it for this length with a an overfill, but it has always run soooo sweet ... I know this from Friday's journey home when an Audi something-or-other fancied his chances ... opened her up ... no contest ...

Thanks again

Tony
Old 14-02-05, 08:39 PM   #7
RandyO

Clean your shift linkage
Old 14-02-05, 09:27 PM   #8
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_BLY
... checked oil ... overfilled, drained some out, problem solved .....as a question I won't have done any damage will I?
if it was only a little overfilled, and it had been running fine without lots of blue smoke, and it isn't covered in oil on the outside, and it's running fine now...........no.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-05, 09:04 PM   #9
Big Bad Al

had the same thing a few weeks back. All these things already said are true but also check the linkage clamp on the splined pivot. Mine was loose and the clamp had moved off the spline by a 1/4". I pushed it back on and tightened it and it's all ok now.