SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-10-13, 07:15 PM   #1
shane1964

Exclamation Better headlights? Curvy.

Hello all, had alot of bikes in my time , and as much as i love my little 02 sv650, have to say the lights are rubbish, looked at the beam and the bulbs have a blue ish tinge to them , so maybe i should buy a pair of new standard white bulbs first, the bike never suffers a flat battery, but when ticking over with lights on the clock lights flicker and if the indicators on at the same time the speedo light and rev counter dim slightly as flashers flash, does this mean i have a regulator rectifier fault and if so could anyone tell me were it is located on the bike please,,, looked around the site incase someone has already stated , but i couldnt find so my apologise now thanks Shane
Old 14-10-13, 07:19 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Lights

Moved to SV Talk

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-13, 08:53 PM   #3
shane1964

Default Re: Better headlights? Curvy.

thank you and sorry for posting in wrong place shane
Old 14-10-13, 08:54 PM   #4
svrich

Try some Osram, or similar, bulbs. I've got nightracer's in mine.
The regrec is behind the rear right (as you sit on it) panel.
Old 14-10-13, 09:01 PM   #5
shane1964

thank you will change the bulbs as you suggest also will buy a regrec off ebay thanks for reply will forward a post when i have changed everything cheers shane
Old 15-10-13, 03:12 PM   #6
jambo
Mega Poster

Please don't buy a reg/rec without first doing some tests, there's no evidence yours is not OK yet, if you just like spending money Ii can send you my paypal details.

Decent bulbs from someone you've heard of are worth it, the Osram & Philips bulbs have had good reviews in the past.

If the bulbs are getting a little dim at idle, just check your idle speed. Should be around 1,300 - 1,500 rpm, if it's much lower than this it can end up being a little slow, and generate less power.

To test the reg/rec search on here for a "charging circuit test" and you should be able to use a multimeter connected to the battery to see if the voltages you get look healthy.

Jambo
Old 17-10-13, 05:46 PM   #7
shane1964

thank you for replying , jambo will check this wk end and post the results much appreciated Shane
Old 17-10-13, 10:50 PM   #8
quik_d

As jambo said test the circuit, as it sounds like a poor earth or not enough power getting round for everything, despite starting ok it could still be a battery issue so don't rule it out. Also make sure all connections to the battery are clean and tight.

A while back I fitted a MOSFET Recifier off a cbr1000 to my fiances 99 sv650 and the difference in the brightness was noticeable, and we never thought her lights were bad to begin with. If you do need to replace the rectifier One thing to note is the upgraded replacement reg/rec are often bigger and have different plugs so some work is needed to fit, it's not hard if you are ok with basic spannering and wiring but its not plug & play.
Old 17-10-13, 10:56 PM   #9
shane1964

many thanks if not raining at the wk end will have a look believe the reg rec is near the back end will check earths and battery connections and reply back many thanks shane