SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-06-11, 06:30 AM   #1231
Venom

Default Re: The MTB thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMio View Post
Avid Juicy disc brakes, how the feck do I adjust the span on the levers?
Not 100% on this as I haven't done it myself but there's an allen key screw on the levers near the pivot, (Well there is on my Juicy Threes).

It does sound like you should bleed your brakes though with their bleed kit. Quick fix, tie a zip tie around your lever and leave overnight. That should help temporarily.
Old 29-06-11, 06:33 AM   #1232
Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
A heads up to anyone who fancies a trip to Wales for a not too challenging ride. Sunday 31st July is the Cyffylliog Charity Bike ride. 3 routes on offer through Mynydd Hireathog and Clocaenog Forest, 21km (family), 30km and 47km. Entry Fee is £10 Adult, 16 and under £5, under 6 free and Families £20.

I'm offering accommodation to any orgers who fancy making a weekend of it. I'll also ride with you and act as a guide so it can be combined with a day riding Penmachno, Marin, Coed-y-Brenin or LLandegla trail centres or just a good old fashioned ride over mountains on bridleways from my house. For the more downhill oriented folks, Foel Gasnach is just up the road only 20 minutes ride. The village pub is open again, so evenings are taken care of.

The only stipulation I'll make of people coming to stay is they do the charity ride and spend money in the pub
Sounds interesting, I might be able to go. Which distance, I think Family 21k ride.
Old 29-06-11, 08:28 AM   #1233
Luckypants
Mega Poster

The 21km is intended for kiddies and is mainly fire-road and back lanes. I'd be more inclined to do the 30km with an option to continue onto the 47km if feeling frisky. 30km is only 19 miles and the 47km less than 25 miles. I know you did the 25km on the Ruthin Merida, but this course is a lot less strenuous.

PS You on for the Ruthin Merida again this year?
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-11, 06:07 AM   #1234
Venom

Lol, so a quick ride and back to the pub is out of the question?

Yep, I have the Ruthin Merida pencilled in. Doing the Marshbrook one this weekend, might drop down from 50k to 25k as I've done no training.
Old 03-07-11, 08:13 PM   #1235
Venom

I did drop down to 25k, the sun made it slow going and I only averaged 6-7kph at the 13k split. I sped up after 20k and hit 44kph on the downhill, doh.

Had an epic crash about 20m from the finish, there was a bit of a technical singletrack descent at the bottom of a hill and a caution sign. I missed the entry as my mind was half-thinking the saddle was too high. Found myself on the floor, bike on it's nose resting against a small tree, right in front of the spectators. lol
Old 18-07-11, 12:23 AM   #1236
Venom

Sooo... 10 speed has been around for a while, is it a unnecessary gimmick or worth upgrading from 9 speed?
Old 18-07-11, 06:38 AM   #1237
barwel1992

i think the only benefit would be to some one like me with a single front chain ring other than that i dont see the point as you could just gear the bike correct for your riding on the front 3 chin rings i mean who uses 1st (largest) gear and the smallest front chain ring ? waste of time

Last edited by barwel1992; 18-07-11 at 06:39 AM.
Old 18-07-11, 07:47 AM   #1238
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Sooo... 10 speed has been around for a while, is it a unnecessary gimmick or worth upgrading from 9 speed?
Like Mr Barwell, I think they are worth it for those using a single up front - but would also add for those using a double up front.

But other than that, I don't see any point really. Do we all use the full gear range from high to low?? Doubt it.

But - if you fancy having the latest x10 then why not.......as we all know, most of the bits people upgrade on MTB's tend to be about Weight Saving / Bling etc.....very few tend to replace things because the old dosn't work anymore - myself included!!

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-11, 08:32 AM   #1239
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I wouldn't change over for any benefit, it's purely a gimmick IMO. The crux is the range of sprockets on the rear, most 9 and 10 speeds have same big and little cog, so no advantage.

Old 18-07-11, 08:33 AM   #1240
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
A heads up to anyone who fancies a trip to Wales for a not too challenging ride. Sunday 31st July is the Cyffylliog Charity Bike ride. 3 routes on offer through Mynydd Hireathog and Clocaenog Forest, 21km (family), 30km and 47km. Entry Fee is £10 Adult, 16 and under £5, under 6 free and Families £20.

I'm offering accommodation to any orgers who fancy making a weekend of it. I'll also ride with you and act as a guide so it can be combined with a day riding Penmachno, Marin, Coed-y-Brenin or LLandegla trail centres or just a good old fashioned ride over mountains on bridleways from my house. For the more downhill oriented folks, Foel Gasnach is just up the road only 20 minutes ride. The village pub is open again, so evenings are taken care of.

The only stipulation I'll make of people coming to stay is they do the charity ride and spend money in the pub
Just bumping this as this is only a fortnight away.