SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-08-09, 04:00 PM   #1
swinging_simian

Default Clutch/Worm drive problem

Hi all

I've had an ongoing problem(last 12 months) with my clutch which has been driving me up the wall and gradually getting worse. I've tried to adjust it as per the instructions I've found on this forum(more than a few times), but no joy.

The problem is that is that the only way I can adjust it to be useable is to get the worm drive tightened so that there is next to no slack in it, i.e. screw it in any more and I'd be slipping the clutch when a gear is engaged. Then I have to tighten the clutch cable so that there is no slack at the lever i.e. I get the maximum amount of movement out of the worm drive when I pull the lever. If I don't do this it won't go into first from neutral or at best it sounds like something is trying to escape from inside the engine..ccrrunch! Not nice and pretty unusable.

I eventually took my worm drive apart to check for any obvious wear as I'd been told this can be a problem. All the ball bearings fell out and I lost one, so I put it back together packed with grease. The lack of one ball bearing didn't seem to make any difference, but I bought a new worm drive anyway and replaced that the other day.

No change at all!

So I've effectively wasted £45 on a part I didn't need to replace and am still none the wiser.

It seems like I'm just not getting enough movement from the worm drive. Any suggestions as to what this might be would be greatly appreciated.

Clutch cable maybe?

Cheers

Nath

p.s. I've already had the clutch cover off to inspect the plates and basket, nothing obvious there.
Old 03-08-09, 12:13 PM   #2
vardypeeps

Default Re: Clutch/Worm drive problem

Yep sounds like your clutch cable is shot it the new (adjusted) worm drive hasn't done anything.
I'd say that's you next call.
Old 05-08-09, 01:06 PM   #3
swinging_simian

Default Re: Clutch/Worm drive problem

Hi

Thanks for that. I spent ages trying to find out what was going on, and got directed towards the worm drive problem.

I should have been thinking a bit more simple.

Lesson learned, always try replacing the cheaper part first.

Ta

Nath