SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-10-04, 04:02 PM   #1
ouchbadback

Default Oil Type?

I bought a case of Castrol 10-W40 motor oil, and then my mechanic told me that I really shouldn't use anything except motorcycle-specific 10-W40, as there are no anti-foaming agents in regular motor oil.

Would it be detrimental to my motorcycle to use standard motor oil?

Are there additives which I can add to stabilize the oil I already purchased?

Does anyone know?
Old 14-10-04, 04:20 PM   #2
jonboy

I think the main thing here is that standard car oil contains anti-friction additives that can make the SV's wet clutch slip. Best to go out and buy the right stuff, though you really don't have to pay a fortune for it - cheap oil but changed frequently is my advice.

Old 14-10-04, 07:03 PM   #3
chazzyb

All Suzuki recommend is a 10W-40 of SF or SG standard, which is actually a very lowly spec (relatively). Current API oil specs are up to SL or higher.

IMHO, 'special' motorcycle oils are nothing but packaging to get us to pay substantially more for the same stuff put into cars.

I use a Vauxhall-branded semi-synthetic API SL-spec oil @ £8-60/5 litres and have not experienced any problems.
Old 16-10-04, 05:29 PM   #4
a1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzyb
All Suzuki recommend is a 10W-40 of SF or SG standard, which is actually a very lowly spec (relatively). Current API oil specs are up to SL or higher.

IMHO, 'special' motorcycle oils are nothing but packaging to get us to pay substantially more for the same stuff put into cars.

I use a Vauxhall-branded semi-synthetic API SL-spec oil @ £8-60/5 litres and have not experienced any problems.
Suzuki recommends the use of Suzuki Performance 4 Motor Oil or an oil which is rated SF or SG (these are old specifications) . This oil is definitely a Motorcycle Specific Oil.
The viscosity rating should be 10W-40.
If the bike is still under warranty, you will void the warranty if you have engine related problems while using car oil in your bike.
Cheers, Richard
Old 16-10-04, 07:17 PM   #5
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1a
If the bike is still under warranty, you will void the warranty if you have engine related problems while using car oil in your bike.
I'm not convinced that's the case. Car oil, providing it's of the correct specification, will in no way harm your engine, just might cause a little clutch slippage if you're unlucky.

Old 16-10-04, 07:38 PM   #6
chazzyb

Here's what the API say.
Old 16-10-04, 08:22 PM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

There are specific tests for wet clutch anti slip, namely JASO MA approval.

http://www.ipone.fr/1/1.7.php?lang=2

An oil approved for wet clutch 4-stroke motorcycle engines will have JASO MA on the label.

It's your choice if you use an oil without this approval.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-04, 10:49 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Yup, that makes good reading- I'd always steered away from fully synth oil since I'd heard so much about wet clutches slipping, but after I read that I noticed that every fully synth apart from the Castrol 5W40 stuff has the JASO MA approval, and so should be fine... Still using a semisynth anyway, it's cheaper
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-04, 03:32 PM   #9
a1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1a
I'm not convinced that's the case. Car oil, providing it's of the correct specification, will in no way harm your engine, just might cause a little clutch slippage if you're unlucky.

jonboy,
I think you missed my point in regards to type of oil used in the SV650. I only said, if the bike is still under warranty and you have an engine related problem and take it to the Dealer.
The first thing they will want to see is the bikes service record or your own maintenance book. If it is found that car oil was used in the bike, instead of M/C Specific oil. Suzuki is under no obligation to do the repairs under the warranty agreement.
It is your choice to use what ever type and brand of oil you like. My neighbor has three bikes and two out of three have over 100,000 miles on the odometer. After the warranty period he uses 20W-50 Castrol GTX car oil only. He changes the oil every 2,000 miles, which is more frequent. Car oils have a lower TBN (total base number).Which means lower amounts of acid neutralizers in the oil and more frequent oil changes for a motorcycle. However under no circumstances should one use any manufactures oil with the friction modifiers like molybdenum disulphide (or moly), if your bike has a wet clutch.
For the record I only use M/C specific oil. Cheers, Richard
Old 20-10-04, 11:37 AM   #10
gandalf777

Default Which Oil?

after scouring the internet I've found a couple web sites that explain the oil differences alot better than I could.
http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/oilreport.html
I also have a bmw
and

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/links.htm#oilproducts
the links to the tests on oil filters is very interesting, I think I will pass on Fram filters from now on........