SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-11-08, 12:56 PM   #1
poisonidea

Default How to sell a bike..?

Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone had any tips on selling a bike, selling my k6 (see here http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=121716) and just trying to think of places to advertise it, I'm looking for a quick sale and wondered if anyone had any experience of ebay, gumtree, autotrader...etc? It's the 1st time if tried to sell any kind of vehicle
Old 25-11-08, 12:58 PM   #2
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: How to sell a bike..?

Autotrader, leave you having phone calls every hour from a time wasting company.

Ebay, good but then they take a cut.

MCN, not bad and not many time wasters.
Old 25-11-08, 01:02 PM   #3
sam_p2000

E-bay will get you a quick sale but the least amount of money as not only does everyone want a bargain but e-bay will take a cut of the final selling figure. Biketrader is good and there's always MCN too (only £10 to advertise i think) Otherwise forums like this and any other suzuki forums would be good. Upload all your photos onto a site like photobucket.com and put links in your ad if its online. I have used adtrader.co.uk with good success too.

As a rule look at what others are selling for and what you think yours is worth after taking into accound mileage and condition and whatever you want for it, add on a little (say an extra £100-200) so people can beat you down to strike a deal.

Finally if you can wait to sell it, you will always get a little more money at the beginning of spring as people will be buying for the new fairweather riding season.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 25-11-08, 01:03 PM   #4
poisonidea

Hmm thanks DD...I'll have a look at MCN, was thinking of putting it on ebay as a Classified Ad, then as far as I can fathem out they don't take a cut..
Old 25-11-08, 01:04 PM   #5

think of the absolute lowest price your willing to take. List it on ebay with no reserve with the first bid at what you are happy to take.. the biddeers know they dont have to wait for it to reach reserve and you know that one bid will win it. Doesnt work all the time but has worked for me a few times.

and dont say you need a uick sale otherwise ppl will take the ****!
Old 25-11-08, 01:05 PM   #6
sam_p2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post

VERY important! lol also give preloved.com a go. I bought my last car off there and have sold on it with no unsolicited calls.
Old 25-11-08, 01:13 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Any free ads are good ads.Bear in mind you may well not sell it at this time of year in the current economic climate,so any money you spend on ads could be wasted.
Try to include as much detail in your ad as you can-----If its one owner say so,if its never crashed or dropped say so,if it has full service history list all the services with dates and mileage.All adds up to a well looked after image which will attract buyers.
Old 25-11-08, 01:19 PM   #8
KnightRider
Mega Poster

I'm not condoning it, but a lot of the ebay sales also indicate that the bike can be withdrawn at any time due to advertisment elsewhere. All that means is that you can arrange with the buyer to send the cash another way and withdraw it before the end. If security is what you want - you can still use paypal.

CBR600RR7

Link to map of TV members...if your not on the map then PM me. My facebook profile
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-08, 01:44 PM   #9
custard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
think of the absolute lowest price your willing to take. List it on ebay with no reserve with the first bid at what you are happy to take.. the biddeers know they dont have to wait for it to reach reserve and you know that one bid will win it. Doesnt work all the time but has worked for me a few times.

+1 with that. sold a mullered CBR this way. you may only get the lowest price for it though. as soon as things get past reserve people will try and bid last minute with pound incriments. (or is that just me?)
Old 25-11-08, 01:56 PM   #10
sv_rory

personally like others have said i wouldnt bother with autotrader or gumtree, too many timewasters and idiot companies ringing.

i would give mcn a shot and possibly your local paper