SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-04-10, 01:55 PM   #1
shelleyamy

Default Stiff Gear Lever and Front Sprocket Torque

My clutch was feeling a bit heavy, so decided to strip down the cable and worm drive, (worm drive was new last year) and give them a lube. As well as the heavy clutch, it wasn’t changing gear nicely, mainly on down shifts, I knew the chain was adjusted ok, and the oil level was good, although after reading a couple of threads on fully synthetic oil( using HG fully syn)that is in the back of my mind.
Cable and worm freshly lubed and adjusted, feels nice again. Now the gear change, straight away I noticed the front sprocket nut was loose, and being held on by the tab washer, there seems to be a few posts on the org of this happening. So the first problem I have is that the torque setting for this in the Haynes manual is 145Nm, which using the conversion factor of 1 pound = .225Nm , is just under 33lb, is this enough, bearing in mind how much grief it is (usually)to get off.
Next I thought I’d give the gear lever a lube. Disconnected the linkage and removed the assembly from the bike. After a good soaking in freeing agent and lube, stills feels stiff. It will turn if you hold onto the foot peg and give it a bit of muscle, but it certainly isn’t free spinning. Also I can’t separate the lever from the foot peg assembly, seems to be on there to stay.
How freely should it spin?
Thanks,Mike
Old 07-04-10, 02:24 PM   #2
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Default Re: Stiff Gear Lever and Front Sprocket Torque

[QUOTE=shelleyamy;2236289]
" fully synthetic oil( using HG fully syn) "
Think the main problem here is clutch slip ( & expense )
" front sprocket nut was loose, and being held on by the tab washer, torque setting for this in the Haynes manual is 145Nm, which using the conversion factor of 1 pound = .225Nm , is just under 33lb,
" Sums wrong - divide by 0.225 to give lbs/metre + 644.4 which is tight as R.Soles!
" Next I thought I’d give the gear lever a lube. How freely should it spin? " Fairly free - has been a thread on this recently
Old 07-04-10, 04:36 PM   #3
shelleyamy

[QUOTE=punyXpress;2236310]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyamy View Post
Sums wrong - divide by 0.225 to give lbs/metre + 644.4 which is tight as R.Soles!
Fairly free - has been a thread on this recently

i knew it couldn't be right, stood on a 3ft breaker bar with a 2ft extension bar,hope thats enough.

Thanks i'll try an find it. Mike
Old 07-04-10, 07:37 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

A very old post indeed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me!
Remove the lever and locate the split in the fibre bush on the inner surface of the lever, now very very carefully roll the bush up a bit and remove it from the lever. The inner surface of the lever will have some corrosion on it, which expands and makes the bush grip the pivot, file/scrape/whatever the corrosion away and grease the inner surface of the lever and refit the bush, check it turns freely on the pivot before re-assembling.

Be careful with the bush - it's not supplied separately.
Carefully wiggle/bash/whatever the pin out of the lever ring, it should be easy to turn the lever.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 06:18 AM   #5
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Good morning all.

Anorak man time!

One nm is 73.8% of 1 ftlb, so 145nm= 107.01 ftlb.

On occasion, the bush inside the gearlever becomes tight due to the lever corroding behind the bush & forcing it onto the footrest.
You may have to remove the bolt holding the footrest to the hanger & get the lever off. These can be a dreadful pain, a good vice to hold the footrest is essential.
Once removed, sometimes one can rub the bush down slightly, but often they end up falling to bits Then it's either make a new bush of some sort. Or, get a replacement lever.

Cheers.
Old 08-04-10, 06:21 AM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

You can just install it without the bush if desperate, it still works fine.
Old 08-04-10, 07:40 AM   #7
shelleyamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
A very old post indeed:

Carefully wiggle/bash/whatever the pin out of the lever ring, it should be easy to turn the lever.
Tried heat, a can of plus gas, and a big hammer and it only moved about 5mm.It has freed up a bit and now spins a lot easier, but still not perfect. Wil work on it a bit more today. Mike
Old 08-04-10, 07:44 AM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Bigger hammer
Old 08-04-10, 08:05 AM   #9
shelleyamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner Man View Post
Good morning all.

Anorak man time!

One nm is 73.8% of 1 ftlb, so 145nm= 107.01 ftlb.
Think your right, found this site http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_5935841_co...ot_pounds.html

the conversion works out at 106.946511605 lb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner Man View Post

On occasion, the bush inside the gearlever becomes tight due to the lever corroding behind the bush & forcing it onto the footrest.
You may have to remove the bolt holding the footrest to the hanger & get the lever off. These can be a dreadful pain, a good vice to hold the footrest is essential.
Once removed, sometimes one can rub the bush down slightly, but often they end up falling to bits Then it's either make a new bush of some sort. Or, get a replacement lever.

Cheers.
The hanger came off easy,just can't get the lever off the peg. I think the locating lugs may have been flatten a bit, so now wont pass though the lever hole. Mike
Old 08-04-10, 08:07 AM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Ah wind another bolt in there and hit the bolt, that will avoid peening those over. tickle it on the grinder to get rid of the raised bits