SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-06-08, 09:02 PM   #1
carsounds_dan

Default progress of the sv

Hi all,
Thought i'd update people as to how the sv is going.
Since day1 I love the sv in comparison to my old zxr400, fair enough the sv I brought isnt the cleanest of bikes but nor was my zxr and I had and still have plans for it.
The first few days were amazing, I loved it and with the girlfriend on the back the bike felt alot more capable than the zxr it replaced. It handles much better than the zxr did (my zxr was shot to bits) and/or suits my style of riding much much better.
I love the fact that it's alarmed, when parked up it adds LOADS more confidence to leaving it in places I didnt know. I love the exhausts (twin underseat renegades) and as a general rule the bike ticked every box.
The rear hugger that was fitted was fibreglass and the mounts near the chain guide had disintergrated, therefore I removed it to stop it flapping about. A carbon fibre replacement is on it's way near the end of july hopefully.
I found that the bike originally would hang at about 2500rpm and idled a bit ruff but I thought it was just an air leak... it turned out to be the biggest of airleaks ever found.. the front tap you use to balance the carbs had been left uncovered... needlessly to say it has been covered.
This smoothed things out greatly and also made it generally smoother all over the rev range.
I did an oil change on it which through a contact of mine sourced putoline oil and filter for £5 which also made things alot nicer to run.
The exhaust system I think is amazing.. no real power gain but enough tart factor to work for me feeling around it it has leaks near the collector at joins.. these are being delt with but not critically as they arent massive.
You'll probably know the history of this bike and know that it has been crashed and the rear can on the right side was a bit ****ed.. its been put back together but I want to sort it properly.
I have ordered off of PJ engineering two carbon sleeves and packing material for both cans which will arrive at the weekend and the cans will be rebuilt with carbon sleeves, repacked and I may look at stubbying them to help clean up the rear of the bike (as you will see from the pictures the rear end is a bit fuddled atm). At this time I will also sort out the leaks within the exhaust system.
I have also removed the ignition retarder in 2nd and 3rd (no real affect) and also gave the bike a once over.. it's cleaner than many thought it would be.
I have carbon goodies on the way in the form of front and rear huggers, exhaust sleeves and even a bespoke carbon lower fairing from kompotech.
I plan to fit a full kompotech front/main fairings and get the whole bike resprayed but I am torn between red or silver.. or something different (proper 2k paint baked on), I've been offered a full respray from one place for £100 and another for £200... i'll go for the dearer one because they simply do the best bodywork.
I have also been looking at some other little tarty bits.. the main one being a clutch cover with a window in it.. which I may make myself as I have full use of the CNC lathe at work.
I also have been looking into fitting FI onto the sv.. using throttle bodies off of a later bike and using a microsquirt ECU, which will eventually be used to run the ignition aswell as fueling but that is a complicated process and all the time I'm using it every day it's not a viable project as the bike will be off the road for a while.
Also needs new tyres, I'll probably get myself some PilotRoad2s on there as I get free fitting near me and the overall tyres are cheap enough on the net.
Anyway heres some pictures.. if you have any ideas let me know.. anything you may think I'd be interested in... let me know.

and one of the old ****ter

Cheers
Daniel Elias
Old 11-06-08, 09:37 PM   #2
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: progress of the sv

Lower fairings and a seat cowl
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-08, 09:55 PM   #3
petevtwin650

Yep, belly pan or lowers.

Or maybe an oil cooler.
Old 11-06-08, 10:33 PM   #4
carsounds_dan

yeh the carbon lower fairing part of the kompotech ones covers the lower fairings/belly pan comments.
Got a seat cowl.. what about an oil cooler? worth having?
Old 12-06-08, 01:13 PM   #5
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsounds_dan View Post
kompotech
Don't expect too much quality from these peolpe!
Quote:
What about an oil cooler? worth having?
Not for a 650, I had to fit on on the 750 which has a full 2wheeljunkies fairing on it but the 750 produces a lot more heat that a 650. Think of it like this, you will be adding weight to the bike with no benefits returned!
Old 12-06-08, 01:20 PM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

there not underseat Renes, just twin high levels Sorry, being picky.

As for the fuling, no need. A lot of money for no real gain imho.

Other than that, the mods you propose look good. Oh, and as for the hugger, i have had 2 on mine and they both bracked at those points. I think that the swing arm must flex a lot.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 01:35 PM   #7
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
there not underseat Renes, just twin high levels Sorry, being picky.
Yeap.
Old 12-06-08, 07:49 PM   #8
carsounds_dan

its not for the gain more for the fact that I'm getting 100 miles to a tank... max, the chokes arent sticking and carbs are all balanced up.
The cans are the underseat ones.. just the guy who had them before spaced them out at the back by twisting the link pipes in their holders.. theyre going back under the seat soon with carbon bits so all should be good.
Old 13-06-08, 10:24 AM   #9
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
The cans are the underseat ones.. just the guy who had them before spaced them out at the back by twisting the link pipes in their holders.. theyre going back under the seat soon with carbon bits so all should be good.
Renegade never actually made an underseat system (modifed OEM system)! They made a high level system and tucked the cans in a bit more, then they said hey we can sell this as an underseat system!

Anyway when it comes to modifying bikes the thing to remember is what your final outcome is hoped to be. If you are after power/performance then you have to consider that anything that goes on which does not offer any performance gain is added ballast!

What are you hoping to achieve, are you after performance or asthetics?
Old 13-06-08, 11:15 AM   #10
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Don't expect too much quality from these peolpe!

Not for a 650, I had to fit on on the 750 which has a full 2wheeljunkies fairing on it but the 750 produces a lot more heat that a 650. Think of it like this, you will be adding weight to the bike with no benefits returned!
So is the oil cooler on the pointy any real use or just bling?
punyXpress is offline   Reply With Quote