SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 17-01-09, 11:33 AM   #11
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default Re: Your favourite two track day photos.

both at cadwell park

It was a track evening with 3 sessions on track for 40 quid... I was in the novice group since it was my first ever time on track, but it was like 90% track bikes or pro riders. The advanced group was full so all the pro's just went in the novice group = me and my friend the only novices with numptys cutting us up right right on entry to the corner, trying to overtake on properly sharp bends cos their friends' had managed to get past us and they wanted to keep up... I didn't enjoy at all to be honest and has put me off doing a trackday again unless it's guaranteed novices only.

Oh and for the nob on the ducati who nearly had me off just after mountain going into the chicane (although he won't read this, it does make me feel better) I hope you get Syphilis!

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-09, 11:39 AM   #12
Sideshow#36

Bit harsh really mate. I can see it from the other perspective. However yes you are right advanced/racers shouldnt be in the novice group, only as a last resort.

Having had to go in a novice group once since starting racing I can honestly say that it was one of the scariest rides of my life. While you may think they are carving you up, they have actually calculated how to get around you! Because novices have very little race craft or knowledge of how to ride a bike fast it is very hard to get past you. Novices are very unpredictable. They take strange lines and get spooked very easily.

Book yourself on a novice only. A few of my mates have done this, complaining about the same things as you and they loved it!
Old 17-01-09, 11:45 AM   #13
Tim in Belgium

And Sideshow, race photos count too, bung three up.
Old 17-01-09, 12:10 PM   #14
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow#36 View Post
Bit harsh really mate. I can see it from the other perspective. However yes you are right advanced/racers shouldnt be in the novice group, only as a last resort.

Having had to go in a novice group once since starting racing I can honestly say that it was one of the scariest rides of my life. While you may think they are carving you up, they have actually calculated how to get around you! Because novices have very little race craft or knowledge of how to ride a bike fast it is very hard to get past you. Novices are very unpredictable. They take strange lines and get spooked very easily.

Book yourself on a novice only. A few of my mates have done this, complaining about the same things as you and they loved it!
I had no problem whatsoever with any other riders on the track - I was overtaken on a few sharp corners "carving me up" etc but it was clear they all had their lines down to a 't' and knew exactly what they were doing...

I didn't have a problem with any of them at all. It was just this one guy on the ducati who was around 3 car lengths behind me as we came over the mountain, then as we went into the left-right-chicane he pulled along side me, swerved infront almost clipped my front wheel, braked hard and then razzed off. How I managed to not run into the back of him or lock up, I'll never know.

All the other pro's were so fast, experienced and controlled - this guy was riding as if he was immune from death or something. So, syphilis it is

and yes, I'll definitely do novice only if I decide to look at track days again

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-09, 12:23 PM   #15
Sideshow#36

OK here are mine.

This one because it was one of the best races of the season. Me and the other guy behind me (Gary Lawrence) were this close for the entire race changing positions every lap, and I finally got past him to finish 3rd

This one because its just such a great shot and it was also my first race win at Brands Hatch GP!

I know its not a racing picture as such but it means a lot to me.
Old 17-01-09, 11:24 PM   #16
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001 View Post
my favourite is a bit unusual as its from the rear, oh err. This was Rockingham National in 2007 and the fast lefts before the straight and hairpin.

The next is last year at Rockingham Int'l, the session before my highside. My mate in the GSXR 1000 is behind and we had a really close racing, loads of overtakes.

This one I like as it was only by 3rd or 4th track day, second time as Brands. My leathers look new and clean!

Finally got the pictures to upload (can't link to the Org album if not online!)
Old 18-01-09, 09:42 AM   #17
John 675

here are mine

i did these blokes on the brakes at the melbourne loop! was short lived though they killed it on the straight lol,
Old 19-01-09, 01:14 AM   #18
chris8886
Mega Poster

from my first ever track day, at lydden hill. really enjoy this particular photo because it shows me having duffed up bender and a blackbird a few corners before on my 33 bhp sv (sorry paul, you knew i'd have to mention this).

i like this picture because it's on my second ever track day, at silverstone and i'm just about to get my knee down for the first time (gutted that there wasn't a pic of this). just goes to show how much help that instructor was/can be if you go ask 'em to go out on track with you (and are normally free)!

what i think is a cool action picture from the really cool day at RAF northolt and also the first time i got the left knee down.

all a bit big headed pictures you could say, but they're my favourites currently.
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob

Last edited by chris8886; 19-01-09 at 01:20 AM.
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-09, 09:29 AM   #19
mister c
Mega Poster

This was my 1st Track day after my accident, so was taking it easy. It makes me look as though I'm trying hard, which, to be honest I was struggling like mad

Showing how slow I really was in the dry.

Hizzy's Chicane at Oulton. -2 degrees, ice on the circuit, but loved it.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-09, 10:26 AM   #20
Skip
Mega Poster

My first ever trackday at Snetterton - only been riding a couple of months but absolutely loved it - this is coming through the Bomb Hole

Just to be different - me lining up for another mid 12s run at Santa Pod - was great fun even though it was just nailing it through the gears and not much else!