SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-02-06, 08:47 PM   #31
TC3

I give mine a 10 minute wash with soapy water after every ride in the salt and then rinse it all off and dry it. I take a lotta pride in my bike and like it to look good all the time. It looks as good as it did the day i picked it up from the dealer last June. Ok so i only ride 2 or 3 times a week during the bad weather and i enjoy any work i do on my bike whatever it may be.
Old 07-02-06, 09:01 PM   #32
Steve W

Okay some solutions...

Change job or home so you live further away... I would get a little dischuffed getting gear on for 15 minutes biking.

Wash the bike less often if you don't like doing it; I hose mine down after I get back from work and that has helped keep it reasonable so I don't have to spend 2 hours every weekend cleaning it.

Get a winter hack

Can you get to work another way? If so, don't use the bike every day

Sell the bike, get a car and see if you miss it

Get a different bike - I swapped my SV mainly cos it didn't like winters
Old 10-02-06, 09:38 AM   #33
Ceri JC

I have little time for "all over" cleaning after every trip at this time of. As people have said, coupled with getting your kit on/off at either end, it negates any time benefit saved over using a car. Instead, I operate a sort of cyclical (no pun intended) cleaning routine over about 2 weeks. After a ride (back home, not at the office) I usually do one of the following; clean the headlights, autosol and clean the header pipe, clean the front forks, clean the exhaust muffler, lube the sidestand pivot and clutch cable, clean the swingarm and hugger, clean the engine of mud/grime, clean the undertray and numberplate, check the scottoiler is working. Each of those tasks takes only a few minutes, so I rarely notice the time spent; it's not a "I just spent 2 hours cleaning that bike, only for it to get dirty again tomorrow" feeling. I also give the plastics/frame a clean maybe once every 2 months at this time of year; the dirt doesn't seem to bed in half as bad as dead flies in summer.
Old 10-02-06, 01:49 PM   #34
Iansv

Was that you riding it this morning through hutton mate or have you sold already ?