SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-04-20, 06:54 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default all's fair in love and war

I lived and worked in the US for over 20 years and met some good people. It amused me in latter years when some complained about unfair trading practices of other countries against the US. When I saw this article, I wished I was back there to show some of them how "fair" things can be:

http://www.rfi.fr/en/europe/20200402...ance-stolen-us

Looks like the word "gazumping" is back in fashion
Old 03-04-20, 07:56 AM   #2
Kenzie

Default Re: all's fair in love and war

Doesn't that show that we should be making stuff for ourselves instead of relying on other countries?

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-20, 08:23 AM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
Doesn't that show that we should be making stuff for ourselves instead of relying on other countries?

as an ex engineer and someone that has sent many letters to my MP about not selling off UK engineering companies, I'm in full agreement.
However - how many times have you read on here, for example, people having the option of buying a local product or a cheaper Chinese product and they elect to go with the latter.

Either we put up with higher prices and have things made locally or accept the globalisation of manufacturing; we cannot have both.

But the point of the post is about fair trading; if you've negotiated a price to purchase some items, you don't expect someone to buy then out from under you by paying more. It destroys trust, is unethical and unfair, the latter point is what the Americans have been complaining about under Trump, they say they're are treated unfairly and then pull a stunt like this.
Old 03-04-20, 08:33 AM   #4
Kenzie

Its all about money. The Japanese didn't want to cancel the Olympics as they said it wouldn't be fair to the athletes who have spent time and effort training. What they really meant was we have invested all this money into stadiums and venues, we'll loose all the sponsership money etc...

I would have thought action could be taken against that company as they had a contract (surely) with the French and the Americans waved the cash and the dropped the French. But then again, gazumping in the the housing market is illegal but it still happens.

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote