SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-10-10, 05:45 PM   #1
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Default Low flying in Wales with the RAF

After Chris posted about The Mach Loop in Wales on my "BP has a new job" thread, I have been planning on going and having a look. Mike fancied a ride, so two birds, one stone etc.

The weather was supposed to be glorious today, according to Metcheck's forecast last week, so time off was booked and plans made. Collected Mike from Ruthin at 10.00am and we had a cracking ride down to one of the Mach Loop's viewing spots called Cad West. It's near Dolgellau and a 15 minute walk up a hillside.

We arrived at the layby, having seen a lone Hawk near Bala and began getting out of bike kit and into hiking kit when suddenly, the air was split with the almighty roar of a Tornado screaming over our heads! We both whooped and hollered, bit like kids really.

We climbed up the hill, stopping often to enjoy the view (we told ourselves in between the puffing and panting!) when another pair of Tornados went over.

I was far too excited for an adult out in pubic, but come on, a Tornado only touching distance away! The noise is shocking, the energy from the 'plane is immense!

So we carried on up the hill to where we had a clear view East towards Bala and beyond.

The view the other way was captivating and constanly changing as the weather fronts blew through - and boy, did they blow!

At the best spot, we found a bloke and his lad all set up with a tent and a pair of mahoosive lenses! The Dad was an RAF official photographer and was happy to share pointers and locations for good shots.

We hung around for a few hours, chewing the fat, telling tall tales and snapping 'planes passing.

And finally, Mike posing!

Mike had my compact camera and managed a superb video of a Hawk passing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv5arkAfC_o

All in all, a cracking day out. Superb roads good company, amazing views of aircraft and Wales at it's photogenic best.

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-10, 05:55 PM   #2
Jdubya

Default Re: Low flying in Wales with the RAF

Pete,

There is a site dedicated to low flying aircraft (mostly in Wales) recommended to me by a photographer I know who frequents the area (along with frequent visits to race meetings)

Try the site HERE for more info.

HTH
Old 19-10-10, 05:56 PM   #3
Specialone

Awesome, id love to be able to catch a few shots of them, big lense needed i think.
Old 19-10-10, 05:59 PM   #4
christopher

Nice photos and sounds like a good time was had, not jealous at all being stuck in work all day...

edit: looks like you got lucky with the weather as well, was pouring down in Chester most of the day!

Last edited by christopher; 19-10-10 at 06:00 PM.
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-10, 06:00 PM   #5
allymc

Some fantastic shots Pete, just a shame there weren't any Harriers due to them all being grounded at 10am
Old 19-10-10, 06:03 PM   #6
Berlin

Incredible!... I SAID INCREDIBLE!

... cos he's now deaf !
Old 19-10-10, 06:03 PM   #7
maviczap
Mega Poster

Superb pics BP & Mike. Seen jaguar's fly like this in Scotland in the 80's

The Tornado's were featured in our local morning news, as RAF Marham could close?

But instead of calling them Tornado's the silly girl called them Torpedo's, not once but twice in seperate news bulletins. Silly mare

Respect to them pilots for doing this
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-10, 06:07 PM   #8
Swin

Cottesmore is closing, Marham is staying open isn't it?

There's also talk that the Army could use Lossiemouth and Cottesmore as accommodation for the soldiers currently in Germany, so they (hopefully) won't stay closed for too long
Swin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-10, 06:22 PM   #9
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swin View Post
Cottesmore is closing, Marham is staying open isn't it?

There's also talk that the Army could use Lossiemouth and Cottesmore as accommodation for the soldiers currently in Germany, so they (hopefully) won't stay closed for too long
Don't know about Marham, missed tonights local news

When RAF Woodbridge closed, the army engineers moved in, Wattisham is now the home of the Army Air Corp, with those lovely Apache helipopers.

Saw one flying back to base today. I love em
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-10, 06:27 PM   #10
Swin

I may have got that the wrong way around, I'm suffering with a head cold at the moment

I heard the article on the news saying that the Army still has 15,000 squaddies in Germany, along with their families, who are still there, 20 years after the end of the Cold War, simply because there's no room here for them - so the Army would be very interested in Cottesmore and Lossie, at least that would help keep the local economies going, one would hope
Swin is offline   Reply With Quote