SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-10-06, 02:01 PM   #1
Annie's husband

Default Clutch levers for little hands?

The Mrs bought her SV650S on sunday, an absolutely mint 1999 from that certain auction site! Guess who got to ride it back from Worcestershire to Hertfordshire in the p*ss*ng rain?

I have to say I was rather impressed!

Only problem is that Annie has small hands so has the adjustable brake lever dialled all the way in. But of course the clutch lever is non-adjustable so I can only assume that Suzuki build bikes for people with little right hands but big left hands

Has anyone had this problem and do you know of an alternative lever from a different model with adjustment that I can fit?

If so are there any problems regarding the cut out switch I should be aware of or can you just bypass it?
Old 06-10-06, 02:06 PM   #2
BILLY

As for the cutout switch do you mean the one on the clutch leaver if so just unplug the 2 wires and join them together there are no probs with doing it that way!!

As for different leavers try heating the origonal one up and bending it!!!
Old 06-10-06, 02:35 PM   #3
thor

You can certainly get aftermarket racing span adjustable levers, but might be costly.
Old 06-10-06, 02:58 PM   #4
andy

Easy way of reducing the reach on the clutch lever, just put a zip tie around the hanger such that it stops the lever from returning fully, which should bring the end of the lever into the bars by about 10mm. You will then need to readjust the cable to get the freeplay back.

My SV has been like this for a few months now with no probs.

It *might* make the gear changes a little more clunky (because you are not releasing the clutch as much) but an adjustable lever would have the same side effect anyway.

Hope it makes sense - I have not got a pic I am afraid.
Old 06-10-06, 06:15 PM   #5
andyaikido

I think there is another Suzuki lever that will fit and is four-way adjustable. Might be off one of the TL's but not sure. You tried a search?
Old 06-10-06, 06:22 PM   #6
Razor

I've heard of somebody using a GPZ500 mount and lever, not 100% sure if it was for smaller hands tho.
Old 06-10-06, 09:15 PM   #7
MrMessy

Default Clutch Lever:

Try Kawasaki, I think this as been mentioned before and some Kawasaki parts like this fit Suzuki's and are cheaper!
MrMessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-06, 10:27 PM   #8
jim@55

yep,kawasaki gpz 500 s clutch lever i believe all adjustable n' that
Old 07-10-06, 09:19 AM   #9
jenni

i hope this doesn't sound funny but i had the same problem when I bought mine. But in about 2 weeks I had got used to it and my left hand had strenthened enough that I had forgotten that there was a problem in the first place, will measure my hands later cos i might have long fingers
Old 24-10-06, 03:47 PM   #10
Annie's husband

Thanks for all your advice.

I discovered the answer by accident when wandering around a bike shop...

The Kawasaki ER5 has an adjustable span clutch lever, that matches the SV brake lever perfectly.

Of course this is largely academic, after a month with the SV, Annie decided the riding position on the S is too severe for her so we started to look around for an unfaired version.

Last weekend we chanced upon an absolutely mint '04 600 Bandit with only 4000 on the clock and were offered only £100 less in part ex for the SV than we paid for it on ebay! So after only five weeks, Annie has a new bike

The fairing lowers, single seat hump thingy, workshop manual and hugger we got thrown in are all going up for sale so with luck we will make a small profit on the deal.

Shame in some ways as the SV was a really nice bike but thanks again for the friendly advice!

PS: the clutch lever on the Bandit is just the same as the SV, so looks like a trip to my local breakers is still on the agenda