SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-06-19, 05:38 PM   #7361
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
They go down to months and days! That's pathetic.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I'm sure if I dug deep enough I'd be down to hours and minutes!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-19, 12:56 PM   #7362
Seeker
Mega Poster

HMRC (part 3). The website says any foreign income over £300 requires a Self Assessment to be filed. I called HMRC and said income was from US social security, lady didn't know if that foreign income included social security or whether it was exempt. I told her that I would be under the tax threshold but she enrolled me for SA anyway (unasked).
I get a letter with a UTR (unique taxpayer ref) followed by a hostile reminder 2 days later to fill out my SA.
I attempt to fill out SA but having a dot gov Gateway password and having being enrolled in SA isn't sufficient you have to request a 12 digit activation code.
I get the code and fill out the SA which asks many questions that left me baffled (google helped). Vague threats from the website didn't help. The last thing the SA website does is calculate how much tax you owe and the answer was £0 because I was under the tax threshold.
I would have thought that the lady I spoke to at HMRC should have known that.
What a waste of time.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-19, 06:21 PM   #7363
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The stupidity of the employees is in inverse proportion to the amount of computers an establishment has.. but then again that is why the computers are there to de-skill the jobs, and sometimes the computers don't help.

My wife was practice manager for a medical practice in Australia and someone sold the bosses a singing dancing computer system. Problem was when you were on the phone flicking back and forth between screens took time, ( and when computers crashed it was hopeless), and patients would dither around between dates, in the end they went back to a calendar an appointment book and a pencil with an eraser on the end. When and if the patient turned up for appointment the staff would then use the computer system to log details for record keeping and other purposes.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-19, 08:40 PM   #7364
Bibio
Mega Poster

State Pensions.. whats all this talk of such things... there wont be any in 10 years.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-19, 03:07 PM   #7365
Heorot

Central heating boiler stopped working yesterday so I called in a heating engineer who has condemned it and shut off the gas supply. Due to corrosion, it has been leaking Co1 into the house, specifically into the roof space above my bedroom.

I'm looking at £2000 - £3000 for a new system including labour.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-19, 03:13 PM   #7366
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
Central heating boiler stopped working yesterday so I called in a heating engineer who has condemned it and shut off the gas supply. Due to corrosion, it has been leaking Co1 into the house, specifically into the roof space above my bedroom.

£3000 is cheaper than not having hot running water, or worse being dead because of CO1 poisoning
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-19, 03:40 PM   #7367
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post

Is it a system boiler or Combi ?

You can get a new top of the range Worcester Bosh or Vaillant boiler retail for Just over a grand ( and fitters get trade rates or at least 40% discount ) and they normally fit pretty much straight in where the old one was ( new ones probably smaller package ) - heating engineers really take the p155 with prices, works out at about £200 and hour +.

If you go on heating engineer forums they are a real bolshie lot, apparently people who are not members of their club should be hung drawn and quartered for even fitting a new room thermostat or replacing a blown fuse in supply to boiler, and they always insist a power flush is needed even if the water in your system has had regular doses of Fernox, then when the powerflush damages your system they charge you to fix it.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-19, 04:59 PM   #7368
daktulos

I had to replace mine recently - it was a Combi which makes things simpler, but I ended up getting it through https://www.boxt.co.uk as it was an emergency. Delivered next morning direct from Worcester Bosch along with an engineer to install it. They give you a guaranteed price (I think) through the website.

The engineer wasn't the best, and I'm sure I would have had a better experience from a good local installer, but for speed and for a fixed cost, it worked for me. They'll also put it on the never-never for you.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-19, 05:14 PM   #7369
Heorot

We will be going for a Viessman boiler, not combi which is considered to be slightly better than a Worcester for around the same price (should be around £1000). To which must be added 2 days labour for fitting and a power flush of 15 radiators. The system probably needs a flush as it is 16 years since it was installed. No point in connecting a brand new boiler to a system that has never been flushed.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-19, 06:41 PM   #7370
yokohama

Can recommend Veissman. We had one installed 10 years ago and it's not missed a beat yet
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote