SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-08-06, 04:00 PM   #1
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Replacement Rear Shock (again!)

Hi Folks

I did do a search and found that ZX-10 or 636 shocks seem to be popular, but these seem to require cutting of the battery box (which seems a little dodgy). The thought of my battery being rubbed by the shock worries me a little.

So I need to replace my the shock on my 2001 curvy (only 5k mikes!) as I am now a bit of a porker (15st plus kit) and need to carry a pillion. My son now weighs as much as me (only he is muscle ) and the missus wants to come out too (she is 9st), so the rear shock is being overwhelmed. It overheats, leading to gentle bouncing up and down in a straight line and bottoms out (wrecked my hugger!). It is getting dangerous!

So what would be a good replacement shock? I want something that is easily changed for solo / pillion riding and has compresion damping. Will need to do the front forks as well (springs / oil / pre-load adjusters).

Thanks
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-06, 09:18 PM   #2
weazelz

if you don't want to have to cut anything - note that cutting the battery box is so that it's *not* rubbing - then you'll need to buy something designed for the SV. ohlins or similar if you're feeling flush, hagon or the like if not

hagon do a remote preload adjust which is handy if you're switching between pillion/no pillion a lot, some of the others probably do too

do a search for fork springs, oil, etc. it's been covered plenty of times

jhs is a popular place to buy stuff from:

http://www.jhsracing.co.uk/archive/start.htm
Old 19-08-06, 09:20 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

I reckon that if it's got to be cheap, ZX636 or 10R is definately the way to go... The fitment's relatively simple, and the spring rate should be not bad for you if memory serves. The damping's a wee bit of a fudge, you'll not get a perfect setting but it's still going to be miles better than standard so that's OK. And 1/10 the price of an Ohlins
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-06, 08:25 AM   #4
Blue_SV650S

With a bit of foam in place the battery will come to no harm. Remember the reservoir bit at the top is not moving up and down or anything … there might be some slight forward and back movement, but this is minimal. Lots of people have done the Kawasaki shock conversion (including me), don’t really hear of any battery problems with just the use of a bit of foam, so I shouldn’t worry yourself.

If you are a bit flush however, then yep, a race shock with heavy spring is the way to go. Some of these come with remote hydraulic preload adjusters. This would be ideal for you as you can simply have ‘twiddle’ to change preload according to if you are installing the bread-knife or your son!
Old 20-08-06, 10:39 AM   #5
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Ahh So cutting the battery box prevents chafing and the foam block secures the battery out of harms way. So that makes sense. The ZX-10 / 636 route sounds promising, so I have another question to ask those who have fittted this shock.

How easy is it to adjust the pre-load? Is it a royal pain in the bum to turn them adjuster rings? Looks to me like this design was intended to be set once and left alone.

Old 20-08-06, 10:47 AM   #6
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants
Ahh So cutting the battery box prevents chafing and the foam block secures the battery out of harms way. So that makes sense. The ZX-10 / 636 route sounds promising, so I have another question to ask those who have fittted this shock.

How easy is it to adjust the pre-load? Is it a royal pain in the bum to turn them adjuster rings? Looks to me like this design was intended to be set once and left alone.
You need to cut the box, else the shock won't fit.

The ZX-# shock adjuster if anything is more fiddly than the SV!!! (you have 2 rings that 'lock'). You are best setting the rider sag for say 15+12stone (27st) and leave it there, that way you are not far off with either pillion.
Old 20-08-06, 10:53 AM   #7
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
You are best setting the rider sag for say 15+12stone (27st) and leave it there, that way you are not far off with either pillion.
Won't that make it right hard when riding solo? This is what I meant about being able to adjust pre-load 'easily', between solo and pillion riding. I would just find out a good compromise pillion setting and the 'best' solo setting, but might have to change between the two almost every weekend (Sat pillion / Sun solo)

Old 20-08-06, 11:18 AM   #8
21QUEST
Mega Poster

I'll be more inclined to set the Rider Sag for majority of your riding. Solo? maybe add 3mm-5mm less for the pillion.

Make note of what ever stting you come up with for solo riding and just adjust the damping settings for the times you take a pillion. Leave the Sag/preload adjuster alone once set. Don't forget to check your Bike sag.

I wouldn't bother with a hydraulic preload adjuster as well if you decide to go after market. The normally don't have a very wide range as far as I know. If I were getting after market , I'll still choose the spring for more or less solo use if that is what my majority of riding is. Again upping the spring rate just a touch more.
Piliions are just an inconvenience for me so the compromise has to edge more towards me.

Cheers
Ben

Edit: I've just read your post again. Most of what I wrote initially still stands but seems like you ride with a pillion more or less all the time. In that case I'll go set it up as per Bluey but go 24Stones(15+9) and just adjust damping settings for if needed for different pillions.

In anycase if going aftermarket make sure the valving is change to suit the changed spring rate which means buying from a place with a real suspension Tech*.

* Good to speak with a few place outlining your needs and see what they come up with do anyways.
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-06, 05:04 PM   #9
Blue_SV650S

When all is said and done, it is getting the spring rate that is more important than the sag … a ZX shock will be a step in the right direction, but you will still be under sprung with pillion.
Old 20-08-06, 06:47 PM   #10
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Hmmm it seems that the whole thing is going to be a compromise. I live in rural N.Wales and the roads are quite bumpy, so getting a spring that meets the requirement of solo and pillion will be hard. I do not want to get something that will be like rock when riding solo, but by the same token, bottoming out the suspension two up is a bit scary, since it seems to happen most mid-corner!

The ZX-10 is a much heavier bike, so presumeably the spring is stiffer and will handle the weight better?