SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-05-12, 04:17 PM   #1
takracing

Question BT010 on front - which tyre on the rear?

Hi all

My SV has a pair of BT010's on as was fitted in about 2002, bike was not riden much until I purchased back end of last year.

Now the front is still good but the rear is pretty shot

So

The Question Is

What rear tyre will go with the BT010 on the front ??

Thanks

Jim
Old 22-05-12, 04:18 PM   #2
takracing

Question Tyres :- BT010 on front - Rear needs replacing

Hi all

My SV has a pair of BT010's on as was fitted in about 2002, bike was not riden much until I purchased back end of last year.

Now the front is still good but the rear is pretty shot

So

The Question Is

What rear tyre will go with the BT010 on the front ??

Thanks

Jim
Old 22-05-12, 04:48 PM   #3
number75

Default Re: Tyres :- BT010 on front - Rear needs replacing

Personally, I would replace the rear with something decent, plenty of threads on here about preferred tyres of the moment, probably a choice of 3 or 4. Once the front is finished just change that to match the front. I don't think mismatched tyres is a huge issue, no you probably won't get the last couple of 10ths grip or feel but then neither will your knackered old bridgestone, or the one that's still ok to be honest, I don't think bt010 is anyones first choice anymore.
I have got a bt016 on the rear and a knackered continental on the front which is being changed for a michelin pr2 next week, mismatched tread in the wet is definitely going to be better than no tread!
Old 22-05-12, 05:19 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: BT010 on front - which tyre on the rear?

I used to run an 020 on the rear when I had a an 010 on the front.

Personally If you are only replacing the rear, I would stick with a bridgestone, but thats because I dont like to mix brands, but I know many people do.

010's are old and you cant get the 020's I used to run either anymore. 014 or an 016 would be close to what you have on the front now. I think...

But...

Those tyres are 10 years old if they were fitted in 2002, bikes been stood around for ages, if it were me I would replace both front and rear tyre. Just so I had some peace of mind that the existing front hadnt gone off or perished where the bike hadnt been ridden for so long.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-12, 07:23 PM   #5
alfa.rbt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
...Those tyres are 10 years old if they were fitted in 2002, bikes been stood around for ages, if it were me I would replace both front and rear tyre. Just so I had some peace of mind that the existing front hadnt gone off or perished where the bike hadnt been ridden for so long.
+1
Old 22-05-12, 07:56 PM   #6
Juju

You say the front is stil pretty good - is that in terms of wear, or in terms of actually riding the thing?I know tyres are a bit more advanced than many other types of rubber, but thats 10y exposed to uv, heat, cold, and presumably under pressure for most of that time - I'd be surprised albeit I am not a chemist or a scientist, if the tyre hadn't hardened,or developed a flat spot from being parked so long in one place.

I just fitted a Bridgestone BT023 to the rear of mine at the weekend, as the rear I had on was a Pirelli Diablo, which had done 6k but kept going flat, possilby a dodgy valve or a slow puncture, and so I thought I 'd had some decent wear out the tyre, but was a bit annoyed as it still seemed ok, and only passed an mot sub 1k ago without an advisory - but what a difference - I would say trying to ride on an obsolete tyre 10y old is a false economy - just get both and be done with it.

But I would also say, ignore anything I say if it differs to SidSquid;s advice - he's always on the money.
Old 22-05-12, 07:59 PM   #7
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

I'd bin the tyres on there and get new!

I've ridden on 10 year old Mez4's and they may as well have been concrete

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-12, 08:34 PM   #8
MrMessy

Is it worth the risk of loosing the front running an old tyre? If you are mainly useing the bike in good weather you could run a set of race scrubs Dragon Supercorsa's are a good choice or Diablo's but they have very little tread. I run a Dragon or Metzeler Renntec front and Diablo Supercorsa rear at present.

Last edited by MrMessy; 22-05-12 at 08:35 PM.
MrMessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-12, 12:10 PM   #9
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

The BT016 is supoer sticky, if you only ride on the road then get an 020, you likely won't notice the difference
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-12, 09:47 PM   #10
takracing

All

Thanks for the info, they may be quite old but they run just fine, No chicken strips, give good feel and good grip even when caught out in the wet, just shows how good the modern tyre is I guess

I might just look to fit a pair of something tho as piece of mind.

Jim