SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Pennine Massive For those readers based up north.

Old 10-07-06, 01:43 PM   #1
Gordon B

Default The Lakes

Hi All,

Planning a trip to the Lakes in August and wondered if anyone can help me out.

We are going around Lake Windemere and need a campsite. Can anyone recommend a good (cheap) place where we can pitch up for Saturday night. Just planning on supping a few beers and chilling out in the summer evening. Somewhere where we can have a fire would be a bonus but not essential.

Please don't suggest any routes as thats all sorted, we just need somewhere to lay our weary heads on Saturday night

Thanks in advance

J
Old 10-07-06, 02:39 PM   #2
mudge32

Here's one No idea of a price, sorry, as it's been years since I've been.

It's not that far outta Windermere, and near 3 great pubs.

These 2 are on the doorstep The Old Dungeon Ghyll & The Stickle Barn, and just over 2 miles aways is Wainrights' Inn

It's also situated at the Langdale's end of the infamous (and damn scary ) Hardknott & Wrynose passes

* Just spotted the prices page
Old 10-07-06, 10:38 PM   #3
5hort5

Langdale pikes - valley of the gods, very nice place if you like your hills and views.
5hort5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-06, 12:01 AM   #4
amarko5

Default Re: The Lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaxx
Hi All,

Planning a trip to the Lakes in August and wondered if anyone can help me out.

We are going around Lake Windemere and need a campsite. Can anyone recommend a good (cheap) place where we can pitch up for Saturday night. Just planning on supping a few beers and chilling out in the summer evening. Somewhere where we can have a fire would be a bonus but not essential.

Please don't suggest any routes as thats all sorted, we just need somewhere to lay our weary heads on Saturday night

Thanks in advance

J
just been at a really nice campsite for last weekend about 18 quid a night to pitch your tent or you could go for a bunhouse at 12 each head per night

looksie here it's a great place http://www.sykeside.co.uk/sykeside/about_syk.asp book well in advance though as it's popular indeed
Old 11-07-06, 07:41 AM   #5
fullstop102

I have just come back from staying at Keswick (actually in BURN)

It is nice.. it is a working farm and campsite. £6 per person per night..... It was really nice showers and bathroom stuff.. Clean and tidy! If you want some more infor PM me.
Old 11-07-06, 09:03 AM   #6
rob13

Mark, that Sykeside place is expensive! £18 per night for a tent?? Thats caravan prices! What warrants its worth?
Old 11-07-06, 09:50 AM   #7
Gordon B

Thanks all for the tips!

Will let you know how we get on.

J
Old 11-07-06, 12:07 PM   #8
PBx

Not a big fan of Sykeside.

Dropping on somewhere in high season is a real gamble. There are not all that many places that won't be full. The closest site to Ambleside is probable Low Wray (a NT campsite) but don't bother trying - it will be full and you can't book.

I would say you would be better trying to change your route a bit to end up either North - Keswick/Pooley Bridge or West near Eskdale as these will give you places you are almost certain to get a place. These places are all good and welcome bikers:

Fisherground Farm - Eskdale Green. http://www.fishergroundcampsite.co.uk/

Scotgate @ Braithwaite Go down A66 W from Keswick then turn Right (away from Braithwaite) at the Braithwaite turning site is about 400m down the lane.

Waterside Farm - Pooley Bridge http://www.watersidefarm-campsite.co.uk/camping.htm

[All Lake district info courtesy of a mis-spent youth and middle age ]
Old 11-07-06, 12:49 PM   #9
Gordon B

PBx

You make some good points about high season. It is smack in the middle of the kids holidays too. The wife and kids are off to the outlaws in Somerset which was the whole reason why I planned an overnighter

We may just end up going round Yorkshire on Saturday, getting back to my empty house, picking up the support vehicle (car), getting copious beer and meat based products and pretending we are single again...just for one night..... :P
Old 13-07-06, 11:10 AM   #10
PBx

I'd say do the lakes, just make sure your route leaves you at a suitable place. I will be up at Fisherground farm tomorrow for the weekend (with car, kid, dog, sink etc.), don't do a 'just' run - get a great one in.