SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-04-06, 08:31 AM   #1
Davies

Default Popped my cherry last night

Well, after two three years of biking I had my first off last night. I went to my girlfriends local train station in Whyteleafe to meet her after work (ahhhh), only to find out that she'd got the earlier train. So, on pulling out of the station car park to take a downhill left turn, onto a road that only has enough space for 1 car to get through, I see this BMW hooning it up the hill. My first reaction was to brake, and when I did the front wheel just washed out from under me, sending the bike down the hill with me under it. I managed to kick the bike away, and luckily the car braked before he hit the bike. My first thought when lying on the floor was "bugger, bet you my tank, forks and rear fairing are scratched to sh*t". The guy in the beemer stuck his head out of his window and said "you alright mate?", to which I replied with a "why were you going so fast up the hill you tw*t" type of look. I expected him to help me pick the bike up at least but he just drove off .

Anyway, I picked the bike up and I couldn't believe that the only damage to it was the gear selecter, which had snapped off, scratches to the clutch lever, a bent side stand, and scratches to the clocks.....that's it! The R&G crash bung took the full brunt of the spill....awesome! I can't imagine what the damage whould have been without it.

So, off the the local bike shop the evening to get a replacment selector, and I'm just going to leave the rest as is for now.

More rear brake next time me thinks

Stay safe.

Paul
Old 28-04-06, 08:35 AM   #2
thor

Bummer. I'm assuming that you are ok?
Old 28-04-06, 08:36 AM   #3
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

congrats welcome to the club

glad you're ok and the bike seems to have got offf lightly.
Old 28-04-06, 08:36 AM   #4
DanAbnormal

Sorry to hear about your off but at least you and the bike are okay. Strike this one down as a learning experience and like you said, go a little easier on the front brake next time. Fecking beemer drivers eh?!

Dan
Old 28-04-06, 08:46 AM   #5
rictus01
Mega Poster

your not talking about St Lukes road (cut through between Godstone rd and Whyteleaf hill) are you ?

that's an area I covered when on the Anbulances at Warlingham, had a number of smashes there as the cars coming down the hill step on the gas to cross the oncoming traffic and gun it up, if anything is coming down at that moment, well you know the rest.
(good chip shop opposite though)

Hard luck Paul, but at least it sounds like you didn't come off to badly.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-06, 08:47 AM   #6
Davies

True, I got off very lightly......I was just reading about Andy, kinda puts things into perspective.......
Old 28-04-06, 08:52 AM   #7
Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01
your not talking about St Lukes road (cut through between Godstone rd and Whyteleaf hill) are you ?

that's an area I covered when on the Anbulances at Warlingham, had a number of smashes there as the cars coming down the hill step on the gas to cross the oncoming traffic and gun it up, if anything is coming down at that moment, well you know the rest.

Cheers Mark.
It was just at the top of Station Road in Whyteleafe. My girlfriend said that people speed up that road all the time. The people down there do drive slightly looney

I'm looking to get a replacement gear selector today......I'm assuming it's an easy job to fit a new one......
Old 28-04-06, 09:12 AM   #8
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svstreetfighter
Quote:

Cheers Mark.
It was just at the top of Station Road in Whyteleafe. My girlfriend said that people speed up that road all the time. The people down there do drive slightly looney

I'm looking to get a replacement gear selector today......I'm assuming it's an easy job to fit a new one......
Station rd is where the chip shop is, but that's upper Warlingham station that side.

two minute job to change the gear lever, bolt out of coller on gear shaft, put off the coller, undo peg bracket,undo peg from the back ( you may want to re-fix the bracket to the frame backwards/ bolt facing out , to get some leverage), slip the selector lever off and replace, re-fit in reverse order.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-06, 09:13 AM   #9
tomjones2

[quote="svstreetfighter"]
Quote:

riddiculous easy, and the gear selecter cost about £30
Old 28-04-06, 09:21 AM   #10
Davies

Quote:

Station rd is where the chip shop is, but that's upper Warlingham station that side.
Yep, you're right Still getting my bearings around that area.